converting .opus files for itunes

Status
Not open for further replies.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
We need a lot more information. What are you trying to do? What software do you have (OS, etc.)? What have you tried? Are you looking to spend money or keep the cost minimal?

OP
G
Reaction score
I am running Os X 10.7.5 on a macbook pro retina mid 2012. I have music that is formatted in .opus files that I want to add to my iTunes library . So I need to be able to convert from .opus to a format accepted by itunes (Mp3?).

Doesn t seem reasonable to spend much on software for what should be a one time conversion but I haven t found anything that is setup to convert this file type .

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
It looks like opus files are actually ogg files which means that it's not all that esoteric. The first thing that I found was this. It is shareware but if you only need to do this once, you could download the demo, do your thing and then uninstall it.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Did a little poking around and it appears VLC can play the files. If it can play them you can probably use VLC to convert to other iTunes friendly formats VLC refers to this process as transcoding.

I have not personally tested vlc with this type conversion. Although I don't anticipate file damage it's best to work on a copy of the file till you know for sure.

Reaction score
opus transcoding

Hi,

Opus is in an ogg container but it is different than ogg vorbis, which is what many people think of when they hear ogg.

Opus is a codec developed for streaming / WebRTC but it is also a very good audio codec for non-streaming purposes as well.

It is free software, you can get an Opus decoder for the command-line that will turn an Opus file into a wav or aiff file and then use iTunes to re-encode it into mp3 or aac.

Hopefully soon Apple will support it in their audio framework as it is necessary for WebRTC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.