Black Friday Deal on Photoshop CC

C

chas_m

Putting aside for a moment whether you think the "software subscription" model is a good idea or not, this is certainly a fair price for what you are getting. $10/month is $120/year, and that's a small fraction of what you would have paid to get these programs with "perpetual" licenses (which, I have to point out, aren't really "perpetual" because they stop working after a few years when your OS/plug-ins/machine get changed to something newer.

I'm not a fan of the CC model but pricing it properly is a big step toward getting more people on board.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I agree with you on this Chas. Not fan of CC at all. But pricing is temping with the BF Deal. However, normal annual pricing is steep.

The problem with Adobes Photoshop is their pricing to start with. Yes its a wonderful program, heck its "The standard" for photo editing world wide. But its got a huge price tag that puts it out of the reach for most home users and those are the ones that end up using pirated copies for this reason. Essentials as I am finding out is a joke of a program unlike Lightroom that is priced perfect for the features one receives.

Also the CC mess is a mess. Travel Photographers that use PS are going to hate this. Many work on their photos on the go via their laptops. Not sure if Adobe realizes but there is no internet in most all the places that we go. Unless I am mistaken, you will need Cloud/Inet access to be able to access these programs. Bad for business IMHO. From my perspective putting PS on the Cloud is Adobes last hope of preventing piracy. But I bet its going to end up costing them more money in the long run.

Now what they should have done is made a home version similar to Corels Paintshop Pro and priced it similar (about 200USD). Which BTW I would be using if Corel would pull their head from their rear and build a Mac version..

Cheers,
Joe

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
For anyone trying to download anything from there - have to turn off your popup blocker - incl'g Ghost.

You do not need internet access to use the apps. The apps are downloaded to and run from your computer like they always have.

The only internet access required is based on your subscription model. A yearly model requires once a year access to verify - a monthly model requires once every 30 days access for verification. Once verified, internet access is not required during that period of time. Would think the pros can justify the yearly price.

While I am not thrilled with anyone that commences a scheme that provides them with an ongoing cash flow "forever" on what they have done in the past - as with software...

Signed up and doing the 30 day trial to see if I have any interest in PS. Since I wouldn't even call myself an amateur photog at this point, at the old regular pricing, or even the new $30/mth, PS would never see the light of day on one of my computers. At $120/yr - or figure $180 for a license to a newer version every 18 months - that price puts it into consideration.

Need to grab LR5 while the upgrade price is still $80 - still on LR3.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display

Need to grab LR5 while the upgrade price is still $80 - still on LR3.

The new spot healing brush and circular gradient tool in LR5 are a a huge step forward for Lightroom. While their names don't appear all to great, what can be done with them is pretty darn good. Definitely worth the upgrade.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
"Cypher" Powermac G5 2.3 DualCore QuadroFX4500 23" cinema display
well i'd already bought & paid for LR5 just 6 weeks ago & was trying to decide if CC was worth it or not. i have CS4 on my old G5 (which i will now relegate into storage duty) but i was struggling to find anything that would deal with my D800 files.
the only thing i had that would even open a D800 raw file was aperture3 but that pretty much stopped dead as soon as i tried doing anything :Shouting:
so i put another couple of Gb of ram in my MBP & bought LR5 which is great, BUT then i thought "what if i need an action that is PS only? CS4 wouldn't really cut it & i was reluctant to buy CS at full price when i saw the cheap CC offer. for less than a pint of beer a week it was a no brainer!
CONTENT AWARE FILL & CONTENT AWARE MOVE are worth the subscription alone!
even having already just bought LR5 it was very worth it.
if you consider yourself a semi serious photographer or make money from it then it should be just considered a running cost. cheaper than buying a can of soda 5 days a week.
just do it ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Just signed up to this myself, what an absolute bargain. I don't do photography personally anymore but I do use Photoshop for work - in a very simplistic sense so I will get use out of that.

I wish Autodesk would do this with AutoCAD then I could just run of the Mac at home solely! I think monthly/yearly subscriptions are the way forward to stop people using 'downloads' of the internet.

C

chas_m

The $10/month for Photoshop CC *and* Lightroom 5 is back (still?) on. If my machine met the specs for CC I'd be right on this, I might just anyway since I'm sorta anticipating upgrading this machine sometime later this year.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The $10/month for Photoshop CC *and* Lightroom 5 is back (still?) on. If my machine met the specs for CC I'd be right on this, I might just anyway since I'm sorta anticipating upgrading this machine sometime later this year.

Yes until the end of this month (March 31st). If you sign up for the Photographers Package you can get both LR5 and Photoshop CC for the $9.99 (+tax) a month. Requires a 1 year contract. Now if you opt in on this deal, when the one year is up. You can renew for the same set price, but if you ever cancel the price goes up.

Now I had some misconceptions around the whole "Cloud" mess. First I though a internet connection would be required. Well yes and no, it is required to activate the license. But if your on the yearly contract, you can stay disconnected for up to 90 days before the software will want to check in with Adobe to make sure your license is still valid.
The other misconception is that the software was on the net. When in fact it is all installed on your computer. Behance however, if anyone actually uses it, is an online portfolio software. But Lightroom, Photoshop and Bridge are all able and ran directly from ones computer.

Now one huge benefit is that the license is per user, not software. So have multiple computers, then you can have multiple installations and the login will follow you around. No matter where or what type of system. So essentially if you had saved a software to your online storage and a internet cafe has creative cloud installed, you can essentially login and start using that photoshop and access your 20GB of online storage. But doubt anyone would do that, but thats what they are going for.

Now pricing and upgrades. This is what persuaded me. You always get the latest updates forever as long as your subscribed. So whenever a new version of PS or LR is released, there is no more upgrade pricing, it updates and you keep on using. Being that PS normally cost $800 USD and Lightroom is about $150 USD and both have been one a 2 year release cycle. This is actually a lot of money savings IMHO.

Cheers,
Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.