• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

Just to say Hi and check out how this forum works.

Reaction score
Silicon Valley, SF Bay Area, California, USA
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, 1 TB • iPad 1 Wi-Fi • iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE •
My first personal computer was an Apple Lisa. For decades, in different jobs, I had a Mac at home and a PC at work, usually. Sometimes lucky enough to work for companies that used Macs.

I am about to embark on installing VMWare Fusion and Windows 7 on my MacBook Pro this week...

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Welcome to the forum.

I was a late bloomer - started with the TI-99 and stayed with the dark side for 25 years. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
Hello and welcome. A Lisa -- using that must have been a trip.

OP
GeoFan49
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (Mid-2009) 2.53 GHz, 8 GB, 1 TB • iPad 1 Wi-Fi • iPad 3 Verizon 4G LTE •
Apple Lisa... the first desktop GUI... yes, it was cool. I used it from 1984-1987 and donated it to a computer museum in 1990.

Update:

The Lisa had 1MB of RAM and a multitasking OS. That was unheard of in 1984. It took 5 years for the Mac to catch up with the Lisa.

The "bouncing balls" demo with several overlapping windows all running at the same time is what sold me on the Lisa.

M

MacInWin

TRS-80, Model 1, with 16K of memory (yes, "K") and a cassette tape interface for loading programs and recording data. Upgraded it later with an external expansion board to 64K, installed CP/M (48K usable memory left) and added the memory chip to allow upper and lower case letters. Also added two 128K 5.25 inch floppy disks that stored, as I recall 256k on each side of the floppy. Ah, the good old days!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Man you guys are all olllld...:p

OP
GeoFan49
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, too soon old and too late smart!

"As you are now, so once was he... as he is now, soon you will be..."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini | Intel Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 240 GB SSD | Dell 27" LCD | OS X 10.10.x
Apple Lisa... the first desktop GUI... yes, it was cool. I used it from 1984-1987 and donated it to a computer museum in 1990.

Update:

The Lisa had 1MB of RAM and a multitasking OS. That was unheard of in 1984. It took 5 years for the Mac to catch up with the Lisa.

The "bouncing balls" demo with several overlapping windows all running at the same time is what sold me on the Lisa.

Regarding the price, was there a bit of sticker shock with the initial investment in that Lisa?

What was office productivity like on that machine?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
My friends dad bought a Lisa when they first came out. I was beyond impressed as before that GUI's were not very interesting. He saw the Lisa was going to be dropped and sold it and bought a Plus later. That was my introduction to Apple and the Mac.

BTW, Welcome to Mac Forums!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
I hated personal computers until I got injured and needed to find a less physical new career. My BS was a dual useless major in Soc/Psych so I went back for a marketable skill. I got into Unix since no one was "into it" in 1999 and thus it still payed well back then. For personal computing I went to Mac from Windows in 2007 since it is Unix. I'll stay with Mac as my desktop OS until it turns into "iOS for desktops". At that point, I'll go Linux or just drop out all together outside work. Lately, the less wired I am, the happier I am. Full circle.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.