Loss of data after Automator Rsync Workflow

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 imac 3.5 GHz i7 16GB GTX 780M 3TB Fusion Drive 10.9.2
After reading through this:

Geek Stuff - Synchronize two folders on a Mac with Automator and Rsync - Branko Jevti?'s Piece Of Web

I created a test folder with just 3 items in it plus the same on an external drive and very carefully following each step I ran the Workflow.

It was taking too long so I stopped it to find that it was deleting data from the external drive itself and not just the specified folder. It deleted a lot very quickly but I managed to retrieve it from other drives and everything seems ok. Although various seemingly random files on both drives are showing a date and time modified as of today when the workflow was running.

I'm new to mac and this was my first time using Automator and rsync so please help me to understand what went wrong.

Thanks in advance.

Graham

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm guessing that you accidentally mistyped a command somewhere along the lines which caused this (the smallest of tweaks can cause the largest of pains). Copy and paste any and all commands you entered into the workflow here and we'll see what we find.

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your response vansmith.

here's a screenshot of the Workflow

Graham

Screen Shot 2013-11-11 at 23.04.28.png

OP
G
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I forgot to add that I tried this earlier and it worked fine.

I used the command line from this video. See at 3.50

Backup using rsync - YouTube

then dragged and dropped my test folder (see my original post) followed by my external from the Desktop. No problems.

Sorry about the massive screenshot above, my first here. I'd better check out how to do this better.

Graham

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.