How to install Window 7 in my rMBP late 2013 256GB?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" rMBP late 2013 i5 8GB 256GB , IPad 3 , IPad mini , IPhone 4, IPhone 5
Greetings

Hi everyone, I just got my rMBP late 2013 i5 8GB 256GB 2 weeks ago and keep figuring and google all possible steps to install a Windows 7 on my rMBP. I had seen quite many ways to install a window on macbook and I need steps by steps guides here. Since this is the first time I using OSX, I am quite confused and couldn't find a complete guideline to install window on Mavericks. Wanted to play some games and auto cad on window . Desperate for helps here.

Thanks guys !

Reaction score
Hi there,

You can install windows on to your mac using boot camp assistant which will be in your applications folder.

Contained within this is a step by step guide for partitioning your mac and installing windows.

Jonny

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi there,

You can install windows on to your mac using boot camp assistant which will be in your applications folder.

Contained within this is a step by step guide for partitioning your mac and installing windows.

Jonny

Thanks for your reply. Could I know how many GB should I allocate for the Window 7 ? Just for auto cad and some games .

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Here's the Apple page about bootcamp:
Apple - Support - Boot Camp

But if you start the Bootcamp Assistant (it's pre-installed on your Mac) and click "open the bootcamp help" you'll be taken to a step-by-step guide. Read and re-read the guide before progressing through the bootcamp assistant steps.

It's pretty straightforward. The assistant basically retrieves the appropriate windows drivers, partitions your disk, starst the Windows installer then install the windows drivers.

You'll need Windows 7 or 8 64bit edition

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Thanks for your reply. Could I know how many GB should I allocate for the Window 7 ? Just for auto cad and some games .

That really depends on what you have to install. "Some games" might mean a few mb install or 25gb.

I'd suggest 100gb is a reasonable balance but it's a question only you can answer really

Reaction score
Recommended 2GB RAM, 20GB on your hard disk if you are installing windows for the first time. 40GB if you are upgrading from a previous windows version.

Then you would have to add on the size of any programs you wish to install.

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Here's the Apple page about bootcamp:
Apple - Support - Boot Camp

But if you start the Bootcamp Assistant (it's pre-installed on your Mac) and click "open the bootcamp help" you'll be taken to a step-by-step guide. Read and re-read the guide before progressing through the bootcamp assistant steps.

It's pretty straightforward. The assistant basically retrieves the appropriate windows drivers, partitions your disk, starst the Windows installer then install the windows drivers.

You'll need Windows 7 or 8 64bit edition

Thanks! hmm just a question. Do I need to get a copy of Window 7 in a USB ? Or how would I going to use the Window 7 installer during the installation?

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That really depends on what you have to install. "Some games" might mean a few mb install or 25gb.

I'd suggest 100gb is a reasonable balance but it's a question only you can answer really

Yes. It seems that only I can answer the question. 80gb should be enough for me.
Thanks man !

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Recommended 2GB RAM, 20GB on your hard disk if you are installing windows for the first time. 40GB if you are upgrading from a previous windows version.

Then you would have to add on the size of any programs you wish to install.

Okay! Thanks !

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks! hmm just a question. Do I need to get a copy of Window 7 in a USB ? Or how would I going to use the Window 7 installer during the installation?

That's the best way or you can connect and external DVD drive and use a retail windows dvd

OP
L
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's the best way or you can connect and external DVD drive and use a retail windows dvd

I have no external DVD drive. =( But I have an original license serial number of window 7 and 8. What should I do ?

Reaction score
Running Windows - simultaneously with OSX

I have not taken the Bootcamp route. I have Windows XP running simultaneously with Mavericks, since my WIndows useage is restricted to some Bank sites.

I use "VirtualBox" - by Oracle. The only negative is.... I havent yet figured out how to maximise the screen in VirtualBox. But.... it does the job of allowing me to use two OS's without shutting Mac down, beautifully. It may seem complicated to set-up.... but it isnt. I am a Finance guy, and I managed it without help.

You can even Alt-Tab to swithc between windows. And BTW - my MBP has only 4GB RAM!

Reaction score
Running WIndows on Mac OSX

Forgot to mention 2 important things :

1) I was using PARALLELS. Till it became incompatible with Mavericks..... Parallels guys wanted $50 for an upgrade !

2) VirtualBox is FREE. And it uses far lesser resources than Parallels.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have not taken the Bootcamp route. I have Windows XP running simultaneously with Mavericks, since my WIndows useage is restricted to some Bank sites.

I use "VirtualBox" - by Oracle. The only negative is.... I havent yet figured out how to maximise the screen in VirtualBox. But.... it does the job of allowing me to use two OS's without shutting Mac down, beautifully. It may seem complicated to set-up.... but it isnt. I am a Finance guy, and I managed it without help.

You can even Alt-Tab to swithc between windows. And BTW - my MBP has only 4GB RAM!

Make sure you've installed the extensions within virtual box then change you windows resolution to match your native resolution to go full screen

Reaction score
MrPlow .... Thank you so much for such a prompt repsonse!

Pardon my ignorance.... but I couldnt find any "Extensions" in the site (https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads) or the software itself. BTW - I am running VirtualBox version 4.3.0

I saw that 4.3.2 is out, but when I clicked on Check for Updates....it said i was using the latest version.

Would really appreciate yur guidance here...

Thanks !

Mitsang

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Fire up your Windows VM in virtual box. Then go to the VirtualBox menus, I think they are called guest additions now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.