Moving /home folder to another drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I replaced my HDD with a SSD a few weeks ago and just reinstalled everything as I wanted a fresh install anyway. I now have one of the 2nd HDD kits ordered and on its way, I am wanting to put the 1TB drive back in my mac mini and move my /home folder over to the HDD. Been a really long time since I did this, even on Linux. How would I do this on OSX. Should I go about it the BSD way or is there a Macky way of doing this?

Thanks,
Joe

M

MacInWin

I did it a while ago, here is what I think I followed. I just checked and the options are still there in Mavericks, so it should work. One thing I noticed is that some applications still look for the home folder on the boot drive, so I had to leave a shell on the SSD for those few. Calibre was the biggest offender--it apparently has the home directory hard coded somewhere as it insisted on putting the db of ebooks there. Also, when I replaced the second HD with a second SSD I had an adventure booting with the blank SSD in place. See my post about that in this thread.

Other than that, it works well for me.

OP
Exodist
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Ahh man.. Thanks, LOL.. Never thought about right clicking on my login name plate in Users and Groups.. LOL.. This is to easy..

Most my application I keep system wide. Hopefully I don't jack up any permissions moving my folder around. I am sure Lightroom is going to get pissy again.. LOL

Thanks,
Joe

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.