A button I am mistakenly pushing

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
I sure hope someone recognizes what I am doing. It happens on my 13" laptop. Not sure if the OS matters but I think it is Leopard (10.5.8).

At night I get comfortable in the bed and put the laptop on my chest. I navigate around the internet like that. Sometimes I push something with my right hand. Then the fun starts. The curser starts highlighting everything it goes over. It opens pages when I don't want them to open. Wherever that curser goes, something is either opened or highlighted.

Then I quit Safari out of frustration. I move the curser up toward my bookmarks. The curser makes boxes all over the screen--doesn't quit no matter what. I finally just restart the computer to make it go away.

This really sounds silly but I can't figure out how to make it go away or what button I am accidentally hitting to make it happen.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
At night I get comfortable in the bed and put the laptop on my chest. I navigate around the internet like that. Sometimes I push something with my right hand. Then the fun starts. The curser starts highlighting everything it goes over.

Does this only happen with this computer when you are reclined in bed...and not at other times in a more upright position?

If so...just be more careful when you are in bed...and this sort of thing won't happen.;)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Yes, it only happens when I lie down and put the laptop on my chest. It is bound to be something I am doing with my right hand. I just don't know what. It is driving me batty.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, it only happens when I lie down and put the laptop on my chest. It is bound to be something I am doing with my right hand. I just don't know what. It is driving me batty.

You're probably hitting some sort of 2 or 3 key combination that's turning on or off an ability. Just be more careful...or stop using your computer in bed in that position.;)

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac and Macbook
Is there a key combination that makes the entire open window float when the curser is moved around? This happens also. Just remembered it when I got in bed. And when you go over dashboard all the programs open up without doing anything. I definitely will be more careful, believe me.

You're probably hitting some sort of 2 or 3 key combination that's turning on or off an ability. Just be more careful...or stop using your computer in bed in that position.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a key combination that makes the entire open window float when the curser is moved around? This happens also. Just remembered it when I got in bed. And when you go over dashboard all the programs open up without doing anything.

There are lots of 2 and 3 key combinations...that do lots of different things.

If this sort of thing only happens to you when you are in a reclined position in bed...and no time else...then your computer is fine...and it's the users computing position that is the issue.

Have a good one.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.