iMac Software Updates Won't Complete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac
I get notices that new software updates are available for my iMac. But when I try to install them, they never complete. The progress bar goes slowly to the right, up to the end, but "hangs" there. Then I get a panel that says iTunes must be closed, even though it is closed. I can't get rid of either notice and must restart the iMac. This has happened several times. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
iTunes is closed by actually selecting iTunes in the dock or menu bar and selecting quit?
If you are using the red dot at the top left you are not closing the app.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
In fact hitting the red dot closes no applications at all, merely the window. Always use the Quit option.

C

chas_m

In fact hitting the red dot closes no applications at all, merely the window.

This is not correct. Sadly, Apple is not consistent about this.

What you said is MOSTLY true, but (for example) pressing the close button on System Preferences does, in fact, quit it (and there are other examples).

Your advice, of course, is nonetheless the best practice and the user should take heed of it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.