TiBook won't complete loading of webpage

J

JSchultz

Everything seems to be fine when I visit this site, but others show the message on the bottom bar as "52 out of 53 items completed" or '4 out of 5', and the page pretty much freezes up and stays there, unless I hit the reload/stop button..Is there any way to fix this? What's going on?

OP
J

JSchultz

Also, I just tried to Verify/Repair permissions, and verify the disk and I got this message in the log:

Permissions verification complete

The privileges have been verified or repaired on the selected volume
Verifying volume “Macintosh HD”
Checking HFS Plus volume.
Checking Extents Overflow file.
Checking Catalog file.
Checking multi-linked files.
Checking Catalog hierarchy.
Checking Extended Attributes file.
Checking volume bitmap.
Checking volume information.
Volume Header needs minor repair
The volume Macintosh HD needs to be repaired.

Error: The underlying task reported failure on exit

Disk Utility stopped verifying “Macintosh HD” because the following error was encountered:

The underlying task reported failure on exit
1 HFS volume checked
Volume needs repair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM
JSchultz said:
Everything seems to be fine when I visit this site, but others show the message on the bottom bar as "52 out of 53 items completed" or '4 out of 5', and the page pretty much freezes up and stays there, unless I hit the reload/stop button..Is there any way to fix this? What's going on?
First off, if you have a permission that needs repairing, then have Disk Utility repair the permissions. If it's an error that showed up in Verify Disk, then repair the disk. I forget if you can do this from OS X alone or if you need one of the discs that came with the computer. Second:

What version of OS X are you using? If it's Tiger, have you downloaded all the software updates? And if that's so, do the following:

Applications -> Utilities -> Java ->J2SE 5.0 -> Java Preferences

Once you open that up, select "J2SE 5.0" from the drop down menu for "Use version." In addition, in Java application settings, drag J2SE 5.0 above Java 1.4.2.

See if that helps anything, as it will make your Safari actually use the latest Java updates provided by Apple.

OP
J

JSchultz

I changed my Java version to the latest. Thanks for the tip! However, The repair disk option cannot be highlighted for me? This is unfortunate, because I no longer have my Tiger install discs. My HDD isn't exactly new, it's the original 10 gb that came with the TiBook. If something fails, does that mean it's on it's way out? What do I do now?

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
You can not repair a disk while it is use. You will have to boot off the install media, then repair the disk. The only thing you can do it boot into single user mode (command s) and do the fsck -y (file system check). That may help resolve the problem. If you do the fsck do it , twice to ensure that the problem has been resolved.

OP
J

JSchultz

Thanks for the tip, rman.

Unfortunate for me, this TiBook didn't come with Tiger discs, so I had to end up installing Puma on here. Everything works fine though, and I'm smooth sailing!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.