New macbook user

Reaction score
Hi all, brought my new macbook air the other day and totally love it!

Few questions though...anti virus...yes or no? I'm reading mixed things, do I need one or not?

Also, I've been told to download Vuze as I'm a music/film buff but feel sceptical with downloading films off a torrent...any advice?

And, any general advice for a newbie macbook/apple user would be appreciated! I.e. programmes to use/download etc.

Thank you :)

Emma.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

No anti-virus and no piracy. Who ACTUALLY tells you to do illegal things so that you can get into trouble? Downloading illegal files is the fastest way of getting bad stuff onto your Mac, use some common sense when it comes to this..

You want music, visit iTunes or Amazon or any of the other music stores to grab the songs. For movies, you can use these two or stream with Netflix, Amazon Prime and so on..

As far as programs to use go, that depends entirely on what you use your MBA for.

Congrats on the purchase and enjoy..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Welcome to the forums and to the world of Mac!

We have some great sticky threads in this Switcher Hangout forum that you have posted in. Please give the first 3 stickies a good read-through for what is sure to be info that will answer most of your initial queries.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.