Mac Mail attachment problem

Reaction score
Hi I am a new user to both Mac and the forums, I have a question about inserting photo's into Mac Mail. On Windows if I wanted to attach I just clicked the attachment icon then photos then the picture I wanted. On Mac I click the icon and get a window with iPhoto and click that and it puts the whole library in there, how do I go from there to the picture I want? I have a mini mac with 10.8 Lion. Let me say I can go to iPhoto and drag the picture into the email but some prefer to receive as an attachment. I can also email from iPhoto, I just can't figure out how to attach from an already started email.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When you see iPhoto, in the attachments pop-up you should be able to expand that to see your events and albums where you can select particular images. Is this not the case?

Reaction score
I'll be watching this thread with interest as I also found that process to be cumbersome. So much so that I went back to my Windows machine to send an email to a customer that needed multiple pics attached.

I am sure there is an easy way to do this as most things on the Mac OS work very well.

OP
C
Reaction score
Mac mail attachment problems

Well I suppose if I could figure out how to expand it that might work, I did find at the top where Mac puts all of it's really useful stuff under Windows that you can click iPhoto and it will pop up a little window to the side with your iPhoto selections in that window, however you still cannot attach anything to the email or at least individual pictures and at times I would like to attach two or three. I am sure there is a way to do this, I just am not sure how.

M

MacInWin

Well, I don't use iPhoto much, but I just tried it and it seems pretty straightforward. I started a new email, clicked on the little picture icon top right (Photo Browser) and a box open up with one of the options being iPhoto I clicked on iPhoto and in the window below that thumbnails of my pictures in iPhoto showed up. If I clicked on the triangle next to iPhoto, I got options to see pictures by Events, Photos, Faces, Places, etc. I picked an event and drag/dropped it into my email and ALL of the pictures from that event were added to the email. I restarted and selected Photos from the iPhoto option and all of the photos showed up individually. I dragged and dropped a half dozen to the draft email and they all went just fine.

So, what's not working for you?

In rereading your original post, you may be confused by the fact that Mac Mail doesn't, by default, show the attachment as a little icon the way Outlook does. It shows the picture. If all you want to see are icons, then in the draft email right click on the image and select "View as Icon." If you want the picture back, right click and choose "View in place." On the receiving end, if it's Outlook, they should see icons, if it's Mac Mail, the pictures will show in place. In either case the recipient will be able to save the image as a file.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Well I suppose if I could figure out how to expand it that might work, I did find at the top where Mac puts all of it's really useful stuff under Windows that you can click iPhoto and it will pop up a little window to the side with your iPhoto selections in that window, however you still cannot attach anything to the email or at least individual pictures and at times I would like to attach two or three. I am sure there is a way to do this, I just am not sure how.

I think MacInWin has nailed it.

If you hit the Picture icon in Mail you'll open the Photo pop-up. If you have a large photo library it may take some time but eventually you'll see iPhoto with a little triangle next to it. Click this to display all the contents as shown.

If you hit the paperclip icon you'll get the generic attachment pop-up where you'll need to navigate to your photos folder, from there it's the same.

Either way click on the first image to select it the CMD + click to select additional images

screen-capture.png

screen-capture-1.png

OP
C
Reaction score
Yes sir thank you I think I have it now, I have just switched to Mac and the biggest problem is thinking it will work the windows did, it don't, but is just as simple once you see the light. I was using the paperclip icon and should of been using the photo icon. I just need to break a few bad habits I guess, ha. Thanks again for your help.

M

MacInWin

The paperclip is good for files in general, so if you have pictures NOT in iPhoto, that's the way to go. Or if the files are on an external USB card or stick, then the paperclip may be more useful. But for pictures in iPhoto, the picture icon is the best way to get to them.

OP
C
Reaction score
Mac mail attachments

Ok thank you for the tip, I will remember that, can I ask you another question, do you know how to get Safari to ask to save pass words every time turned on it does ask occasionally but at other times it won't or is there a keyboard shortcut to just save the login info? And I am sure that info is out there, me being lazy, ha.
Jerry

M

MacInWin

You probably ought to start another thread with that question, since this one is about Mail and pictures.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Ok thank you for the tip, I will remember that, can I ask you another question, do you know how to get Safari to ask to save pass words every time turned on it does ask occasionally but at other times it won't

That depends on the web site. Banks and other secure financial web sites will not allow passwords to be saved.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.