• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

choosing backup method for 25 day 4k shoot

Reaction score
Hello,

I am on a project where we will be seemingly shooting on the Red One MX for 25 shoot days about 5 hours a day. I believe at the codec we have chosen, it's roughly 70GB/hour which is 350GB/day then backed up at least once so 700GB/day and we will have to carry these with us and not be able to offload media anywhere during this trip....This is all preliminary, but do people have advice about how many drives and what type to get? It seems like a TB a day is the way to go, so do I really need to get 25 x 1TB drives? Just curious if there are any opinions out there in this setup.

thanks!
dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
What is the size of the files after compressing, so how much is left from the 700 GB if you compress it.
I think you are looking at hard disks to do the job, but as these are fragile in transport, you might want to make 2 sets. It all depends on how valuable your data is.
Is it an option to stream your data to the cloud ( i.e.. a dropbox kinda thing ) This might be a solution if you need to take the disks through customs and questions may be asked.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
D
Reaction score
Hi. Thanks for reply...The compression is in-camera at 10:1 so what is written isn't compressed further until transcoded in redcinex (probly won't transcode everything cause that will take a ton of space and time)...So seems like I am writing to disk about a TB a day...looking for good storage and backup workflow.

thanks again
dan

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I am not sure they make something for your application that is "portable". Other then just getting about a dozen 2tb external drives. Also you dont want to take a chance of the backups going bad. You really need a RAID file storage you can backup to every night. The external drives are gonna be just flat out slow.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks. Can you recommend any 2TB raid drives? raid1 just for redundancy correct? Sorry my knowledge on raid drives is pretty slim

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
RAID1 will be the fastest solution but expensive in terms of cost per gigabyte as you need 2 disks for the capacity of one.
RAID5 is a slower solution ( in terms of writing to disk ) but has a lower cost per gigabyte as you will only loose the capacity of one disk in the raid configuration.
Example RAID 1: 2 disks of 2 TB will give you 2 TB storage
Example RAID 5: 3 disks of 2 TB will give you 4 GB ( (3 x 2 ) - 2) and 4 disks will give you 6 GB and so on.
I am not sure on the availability of portable RAID solutions.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
D
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but a raid1 should be 2 separate disks not 1 with 2 partitions correct?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
RAID 1 is 2 separate physical disks that make up 1 logical partition .
These 2 disks can be on one single disk controller or on 2 separate disk controllers ( usually 1 )

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Thanks. Can you recommend any 2TB raid drives? raid1 just for redundancy correct? Sorry my knowledge on raid drives is pretty slim

Hope you dont mind a hyperlink. Its to wikipedia on raids. So much info on them I just post this link when people ask about them.

RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now you can buy ready to go RAID solutions, or just cabinets you can add your own disk too. My suggestion is if you need 25 TB of storage, then you really need about 75TB of total storage for room and safety incase a disk fails.. The good thing about an raid array is that you dont need really expensive disk as your speed and security will come from the redundancy of many disk. Chances are if you got the money for a Red One, you should have the budget for a premium raid cabinet and the disk to go in it. Like I said you dont need expensive disk, modern SATA hard drives will work wonderfully. The great thing about this is that its reliable, safe and fast. If a drive goes out, you dont even have to shut the cabinet down. Just eject the hard drive that failed and insert the new drive. The system will take care of everything else. Also most run on a custom linux kernel these days, so you can rest assure they should work like they are supposed to.

Also ideally you will want a solution that runs RAID 5, which most should. RAID 0 really isnt a raid since its not redundant. Its just a bunch of disk stripped together and if any of them fail, the entire array is shot. RAID 1 is just mirroring, reliable but SLOW.. RAID 5 is the best of both worlds and is very common, you get the performance of a stripped array and the reliability of a mirrored one. So go for RAID 5 as a base line, there are some other RAID solutions if you read the wiki link, some are little faster, arguable maybe even more reliable. But they get very expensive and are harder to find just what your looking for. But RAID 5 is very common..

If you ask my preference on drives, I go with Western Digital for spinners and Samsung for solid state. But you dont need SSDs in this type of array as its really to expensive and only two makers make any solid states that are close to 1TB.. So spinners are your best option here. Good ole WD 7200RPM Blue drives are what I would go with. I am not sure of their max size, but they should be about 3TB each now. Maybe larger.

Hope this helps..

- Joe

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
I would hope those external drives are USB3 or Thunderport because transferring 1TB a day will result in 8 or more hours on USB2.

C

chas_m

And you can completely forget about cloud storage unless you have a month or so to upload each days' filming, and more money than hollywood to buy that capacity of cloud storage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.