change screenshot file name

Reaction score
how do I change the screenshot file name back to the date & time? im on mac os 10.4.7

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Moved your post to it's own thread.

Most folks will not figure out they need to start reading at the last post of a 2 page long 7+ year old thread.

To rename a file, any file, highlight it, press enter, type in the new name, press enter again when you'e done.

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks but thats not what I meant. when you press comand+shift +3 it takes a screenshot. IT also automaticly names it Screen Capture 1 then the naxt one is Screen Capture 2.

My moms mac names the screenshot according to the date & time the shot was taken. Im wondering how can my mac os 10.4 do the same thing.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Your mom's Mac is using the default settings. Yours would have been changed by someone via terminal or some 3rd party utility.

edit:
Well maybe not - I can't remember back as far as the 10.4 default.

If you read the previous post, scratch that - because I have no clue if it would be the same for 10.4 as 10.6.

-------------------

If yours is an Intel Mac, you could upgrade it to 10.6 and should.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Open Terminal in Applications>Utilities and copy and paste this in
Code:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture name "Screen Capture"
hit return then copy and paste this in
Code:
killall SystemUIServer
and hit return and then close Terminal and you should be right to go.

Edit : And if the screenshot is in .jpeg or .png and you want to change it to the other, this can also be done via Terminal by copy and pasting this in
Code:
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type png
and then hit return then
Code:
killall SystemUIServer
return. You change out the png to jpeg, tiff or what ever you want.

M

MacInWin

TattooedMac, I think that's the reverse of what the OP wanted. He's getting "Screen Capture x" wants date/time. I don't go as far back as 10.4 myself, so I don't know how to set it up that way.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
TattooedMac, I think that's the reverse of what the OP wanted. He's getting "Screen Capture x" wants date/time. I don't go as far back as 10.4 myself, so I don't know how to set it up that way.

I just tried it on my system via Terminal and i got Screenshot 2013-10-12 08.51.36.jpg and even changed it to jpeg so it does work . . .

OP
D
Reaction score
thanks for your replies. I tried what "tattooedmac" sugested and it just names it "Screen Capture 1" then the next one is "Screen Capture 2"

I wonder if it is a mac os 10.4 issue. I dont think why it should. and MacInWin i have tryed to find os 10.6 but I cant find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks for your replies. I tried what "tattooedmac" sugested and it just names it "Screen Capture 1" then the next one is "Screen Capture 2"

I wonder if it is a mac os 10.4 issue. I dont think why it should. and MacInWin i have tryed to find os 10.6 but I cant find it.

Im starting to think it is now a 10.4 issue. As i said, i ran the command through Terminal, and i got what is above in bold. I have just done some experimenting in Terminal and i cant seem to change what comes out the other end, the way i want with Dates and time using %e %b %Y sort of thing.
Looks like for now, do as bobtomay said and just enter the date/time yourself ??

EDIT : Have a read of this article as there are some 3rd party Apps that can do what you want.
And 2nd, how comfortable are you using Terminal ?/ As i think i have found another way, but it requires some Terminal knowledge as well as editing some System Files to achieve what you want :( Dangerous stuff if your not confident . . . . . Like Reverse Engineering THIS

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Read my above post ^^^ Written while you were writing yours

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
O god That is very tedious to name them manually. There's got to be a way.. ugggg.

It beats digging a 6 foot deep ditch...in the desert...in the middle of Summer...with no water!;)

- Nick

OP
D
Reaction score
I'll check it out. and pigoo3 thats debatable.... it depends who you digging it for...LOL..

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Or just order it online from Apple - here.

"Assuming" you have a backup, you might be willing to give this hint a try - same link TM has above.
That hint was for Snow Leopard (which introduced the time stamp naming of screen shots) and how to go back to the previous "Screen Capture 1" format.
You might try that in reverse.
Of course it may totally screw it up - I don't know as I don't have any bootable Tiger drives around to test it.

Although, if you have an Intel Mac, you really should get upgraded to Snow Leopard at a minimum.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
As i think i have found another way, but it requires some Terminal knowledge as well as editing some System Files to achieve what you want :( Dangerous stuff if your not confident . . . . . Like Reverse Engineering THIS

And you guys wonder why Terminal gives me hives.

C

chas_m

Just for the OP and anyone else reading this thread -- you don't have to get your hands dirty in terminal to change the file type and default filename (or even where screenshots are saved).

The free tool Deeper (from the makers of the highly-recommended-around-here OnyX) will let you change this under the "General" tab. While this particular system mod is perfectly safe and easy to undo if you change your mind later using Deeper, a reminder: mucking about with the system CAN be hazardous. Take your time, be sure you know what you are doing. Even with an "E-Z" tool like Deeper. Don't get too adventurous. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.