Need help restore Mac OS after bootcamp accidental format

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Will post as soon as Mac OS is restored.
Hello,

I have an iMac and I wanted to install Win 7 using boot camp to have a dual boot OS and also use the Windows install for work as my iMac is a 23inch and my work laptop is only 17 inch. I started to install Windows 7 with Bootcamp by partitioning my hard drive using Disk Utility in Mac OS. The Windows 7 install went thru without any issues and when my computer restarted in Windows, I thought about partitioning my windows partition in 2 partitions. I went to disk management within windows and right clicked on the windows partition and successfully created a partition. Up until now, everything was OK and then I had to format the newly created windows partition for windows to recognize as a windows partition. This is where I messed up and I selected all the partitions and did a quick format. After the quick format finished, I realized what I had done and by then it was too late.. Windows disk management had just quick formatted my Mac Partition also. I was wondering if there was anything that will basically undo the format and let me restore my Mac partition with or without the windows 7?

Please help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Undo a format? Er no sorry. No back up presumably?

You 'might' be able use a file recovery tool to scan and recover some files but it's a hit and miss process.

Recovering/re-installing OSX really depends on which Mac you have and which version of OSX.

Going forward, you should follow the bootcamp install guide for dual booting windows and you shouldn't be managing disk partitions from within Windows. Ignoring formatting issues, creating further partitions can break OSX and Windows from booting.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You may well be looking at an erase and format of the drive, and after re-installing OS X following the BootCamp guidelines and as mrplow points out, allow BootCamp to set up the partition. Print out and read the guidelines.

The only thing you can really do when in Windows 7 is change the size of that partition using CampTune from Paragon Software.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/camptune/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.