imac does not detect external vga display

Reaction score
Please help with connecting external display to an imac 2013 OS X 10.8.5.

I have connected an external monitor (Fujitsu Siemens) to the thunderbolt port of the imac using a Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter. The imac does not detect the external monitor. I have followed all instructions and suggestions I could find at discussions.apple.com without success. The monitor is in perfectly good working order as it has no problem connecting and performing correctly with a dell windows pc.

Any advice and help will be appreciated.
Thank you

ghogoh

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
First unplug adapter/cable and plug them back in - always first thing.

The monitor does not have any other connection type? If it has DVI wouldn't even be trying VGA.
Next question would be, what adapter did you buy - link to your specific adapter would be good.
The adapter itself would be my first guess after troubleshooting.

For troubleshooting step by step, head to the following thread - post # 2.

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/other-hardware-peripherals/193239-connecting-your-mac-your-tv.html

OP
ghogoh
Reaction score
Thank you bobtomay for a quick response.

Did the unplug/plug - no change, unfortunately. The monitor has only a VGA connector - legacy from previous use, as it was the simplest 'no thrills' solution to 'extending' pc display. It has always worked in that job flawlessly.

Amended part of post:

Previously, wrote here that I was unsure how to check the adapter. It's now been checked - imac connected via the Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter to the D-Sub connector of a Samsung smart TV. Connection worked perfectly. For completeness here is also the link to the adapter details from the source of purchase:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Thunderbo...AC-/300959900190?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

It now looks like there is an issue between the imac and the monitor, as all components work in alternative connections, but not together.

cheers
ghogoh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.