Retina display for photo editing

Reaction score
Looking at the beautiful retina display I'm wondering if it is useful for photo and video editing on a MacBook Pro. What I mean is, will the images look nice on the retina display while editing but bad on a standard display.

I had this problem when I started editing on an iMac. I previously edited on a Dell xps laptop and when an image looked good on that display, it looked incredible on the iMac.

Any thoughts?

T

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Chaz. I've decided to buy one after multiple visits to the apple store. Parting with $3k+ has slowed me down just a bit. I did manage to repair my power cord on my dell xps but its days are numbered:)

Tip

Reaction score
yes retina display will make your images look good but it can also depend on the image format in which you are saving the image usually a png saves in lossless format try using png instead of jpg may be u will see better results.

OP
P
Reaction score
I usually save in tiff while I'm editing and deliver jpegs to my clients. I hadn't thought of the png format. The main issue I currently have with my imac is my final edit that looks good to my taste in saturation/exposure looks flat and washed out when I view on my dell xps or PC desktop. When I do the reverse and edit on the laptop, it looks good on the iMac. I guess the solution could be to tell everyone they must go buy a retina display to view my images;)

Tip

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
@arthur30, most photographers save their images in RAW, but export them to Tiff or Jpeg depending if its for actual photo printing or uploading to the web.

@PhotoFlyer, the iMac displays are (or should be) color, contrast and gamma calibrated. If they look like smack on another computer, chances are really good that their monitor isnt calibrated or just crap monitor. :)

Reaction score
I have both an iMac and rMBP. I use them both for photo editing. The iMac and the rMBP are both calibrated and profiled, but what amazed me was how good my rMBP was straight out of the box. The colour gamut is very close to that of sRGB so this may contribute to the quality.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.