Scanner Question

Reaction score
I am currently running OSX 10.8.5 on my MacBook Pro, and am looking for a scanner (probably flatbed) that will also do slides and negatives. Can anyone recommend a recent one that will work well and will produce clear pictures for printing?

Thanks, in advance.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi Gerihs - I have a 2 year-old Canon 9000F attached to an old Dell PC - just completed a project of scanning hundreds of family photos & travel slides (from decades ago) - used the Canon software - photos, slides, & negatives can be done w/ the adapters included - a newer model is available on Amazon for about $150 - checkout the comments there. After my project, 2 of my friends purchased the updated model and have been pleased. There are certainly plenty of choices but happy w/ this one & the price - good luck on your selection - Dave :)

caoscan-9000f.jpg

OP
G
Reaction score
Hi RadDave: Thanks for your quick reply. Do you know of anyone with a Mac who has this scanner and if it works for them. I used to have an old Canon scanner that was great, but stopped working as there is no update for my Mac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Hi RadDave: Thanks for your quick reply. Do you know of anyone with a Mac who has this scanner and if it works for them. I used to have an old Canon scanner that was great, but stopped working as there is no update for my Mac.

Hi again - my two friends are using the scanner on PCs; check the Amazon comments to see if there are problems w/ Mac OS - also, look here on the CANON Website which states the scanner works on a Mac and provides software downloads for that OS - about all that I can say w/o hooking it up to my wife's iMac and loading the software. Good luck - Dave

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early 2015 13"MBA 2.2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, OS X 10.11.6
Any Canon scanner should run fine with OSX. I have a Canon flatbed I've used for 3+ years with my iMac and for 5 years with Windows before that. Still works great...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
I'm using a canon 9000F with an iMac under OSX 10.8.5.

Software is brilliant - just don't be put off by Canon's toytown look and feel. Silverfast is also included and was a major reason that I choose this scanner after much research but in fact I have yet to use it - the Canon MP Navigator is that good. I'm using it semi professionally to scan photos for clients. A big bonus is that it corrects alignment automatically and can distinguish between multiple images so putting two or three photos roughly on the platten will produce two or three separate jpg's. It's also very fast. Another bonus is that it is cheaper now than when i purchased it 18 months ago!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.