Wireless extension

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
hey guys im after some help. :)

i have wireless internet at home but because of my bathroom (well thats what i put it down to anyways) the wireless connection drops in and out when im in my room. it is VERY tempermental. i was wondering if i got one of these http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/XH6914 whether it might help or not?

also i was looking at this for when i travel http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefro...uct/View/XH6347 but im not exactly sure how it would work?

so was wondering whether someone would be able to give me a hand in letting me know. thanks to anyone who can help

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
The first product yes if you can add an external arial just make sure that you point it towards your room.

The second product is for someone who want to setup and share their own wireless macine into the said items such as an access point. Pointless IMO if your not a real travelling business man doing presentations etc

B

blokie

alright I'm going to repost this as the links to most of the posts with respect to this topic no longer work, temporarily? anyways, I'm asking this b/c in my gf's room at her university in melbourne they have free wireless but when she's in her room her internet connection is intermittent. but when she's in the front room it works fine so my question, like many others, is is there an antenna that can increase this reception. I know you can if you already have the base station but she doesn't. and I'm asking this b/c i'm also new to macs and mac products that are compatible otherwise i woudl just tell her to go out and buy some sort of linksys product. Anyways, if anyone knows of anything updated and recent greatly appreciated.

thanks again.

OP
jacksonworld
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook G4
just a note the first thing i posted didnt work. i purchased one and tried it and it didnt even go half the way of what the one on the router does. the range was actually less. so meh. does anyone know anything that could extend my range like literally a few meters

K

Kokopelli

What is your current Access Point?

Solutions would depend upon how much you are willing to spend and your technical capability. There are three solutions that come to mind.

The first solution is to get a high gain antenna for your access point and/or a booster. The exact style of antenna would depend upon your access point though. This is the simplest solution and might solve your problem.

The second solution is to get a repeater to put somewhere between your main access point and the problem room. The D-Link DWL-G800AP is an example of a repeater, though there are others out there. I will qualify this with the factor that am not fond of any of the consumer level repeaters on the market.

The third solution would be to pick up a Access Point that is compatible with DD-WRT and flash it. I personally like the V3 Linksys WRT-54Gs. You could then boost the radio up a bit. Default is 28 if I recall correctly, you can go as high at 240 or so. I usually set it at ~144 since that gives me pretty good range and the units stay cool. This requires some technical ability though. (If you do go this route make sure to follow the directions precisely. It is not difficult but if you skip steps results are not always dependable.)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.