Suggestion for an external drive to house photos and videos instead of on my MacBook?

Reaction score
I am piling up a ton of photos, videos, music on my MacBook Pro. Wouldn't it make sense to move this stuff to an external drive (delete from the Mac), at least the photos and videos, and access them from the external drive? Or does this make no sense?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes it does make a lot of sense. Now as to which Ext HDD to do it with, its like flipping a coin mate. They are 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other in performance these days, but im a Western Digital type of guy. They are 99% plug and play with a Mac OS, which means no re-formatting them.
If you just want it for storage, and not to carry around, i would look at the WD MyBook collections, ranging from 750GB for the portables up to 8Tb for Desktop arrangements. They are a good brand and have done a lot in the last 4-5 yrs to welcome in the growing Mac community

External Desktop Hard Drives for Mac Overview

HTH and if you still have questions, be sure to ask.

Cheers

OP
A
Reaction score
I tried Seagate, but you have to do the formatting. Pain. With the WD, is there a way to store the photos/videos so that when opened it mimics the look of iPhoto with all the date info, albums, etc.? When I move photos to the Seagate, it dates them all with the date I moved them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Yes by cloning the iPhoto Library to the Ext HDD.

M

MacInWin

+1 for the WD MyBooks. I have two of them and they work well with my MBP.

If you want to carry one around, I've had good luck with a LaCie portable. Seems rugged enough to survive being banged about in a briefcase and backpack.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You will need to format any drive let alone a Seagate. It is standard for them to come NTFS and you require Mac PS Extended (Journaled) in all probability. Takes about five sends. Hook up the drive, go top Disk utility, select the external, hit Erase and format.

M

MacInWin

You CAN get OSX formatted drives, but almost 100% do come for Windows. I think LaCie formats for OSX, and some vendors have WD OSX drives, but not many. But formatting is dead easy, as Harry said.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2010 Mac Mini
+2 on the WD My Book. Using one for Time Machine. Also like the GTech's with Firewire, no external power needed and the have the same look with the aluminum housing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Yes it does make a lot of sense. Now as to which Ext HDD to do it with, its like flipping a coin mate. ...............

I agree. WD is currently best in quality and reliability.

Now something to consider is a Networked Attached Storage or NAS for short. I have a Buffalo 2TB Link Station that I keep my files on. This model had WD blue drive in it.

Also if you want something more Apple, there is their Time Capsule that are both NAS and has a built in wireless router. Not sure on the drive inside the TC though, Apple doesnt make spinner drives..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
I tried Seagate, but you have to do the formatting. Pain. With the WD, is there a way to store the photos/videos so that when opened it mimics the look of iPhoto with all the date info, albums, etc.? When I move photos to the Seagate, it dates them all with the date I moved them.

I woudlnt say its a pain. Just plug up the drive, go to Disk Utility, click Format and choose Apple JFS. Easy simple and quick.

I buy OEM drives, non of them ever come formatted. Now in windows, this is a pain in the rear from time to time with windows lack of software..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
I have a mix of drives at home and in my bag.

WD 2 TB hanging off my APExtreme for my MBP Time Machine
WD 4 TB NAS hanging off the APExtreme for my video and photo libraries (not iTunes)
WD 1 TB plugged into my MacMini for Time Machine
Seagate 4 TB Plugged into my MacMini for iTunes library (2 TB full now)
Seagate 1 TB Portable Wifi drive with all my movies for streaming to iPad.
Toshiba 500 GB portable as a temp storage.

These are just the ones currently in use. I have a few other 500GB drives lying around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
Unless he was referring to Journaled...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unless he was referring to Journaled...

I was :)

Proper name is Mac OSX Extended. But its a JFS. Not sure why I called it Apple though.. LOL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookAir5,2:10.13.6-iMac18,3:10.13.6-iPhone9,3:11.4.1
Actually, JFS is an AIX Unix file system most folks quit using with AIX 5.3 and 6.1. Linux can run on JFS2, but not JFS. Here's an example of an AIX box I'm working on right now with both JFS and JFS2 file systems on its datavg volume group...

root@en1nims1 /# lsvg -l datavg
datavg:
LV NAME TYPE LPs PPs PVs LV STATE MOUNT POINT
fslv01 jfs2 64 64 1 open/syncd /images
loglv00 jfslog 1 1 1 open/syncd N/A
loglv04 jfs2log 1 1 1 open/syncd N/A
fslv00 jfs2 20 20 1 open/syncd /imgdev
docfs_lv jfs 70 70 1 open/syncd /docfs
esilv jfs2 8 16 2 open/syncd /ESI
smhelp jfs2 39 39 1 open/syncd /SMHelp
smhelpehp1 jfs 256 256 2 open/syncd /SMHelp1.ehp1
root@en1nims1 /# oslevel -s
5300-05-CSP

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
JFS is a Linux file system. OSX is not Linux. Technically, Apple calls it "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" and they call it Hierarchical File System or HFS.

JFS at Wikipedia

HFS at Wikipedia

Please re read my post, I didnt say OSX Ext was JFS. I stated "a" JFS. It is "a" Journaling Files System. Not JFS or JFS2 or Reiser or EXT,1,2,3. Simply "a" JFS.

The small details can change the whole meaning of a sentence..

But I am more then familiar with GNU/Linux as I have been using it since I was introduced to Slack7 in 1999. ;-)

M

MacInWin

I woudlnt say its a pain. Just plug up the drive, go to Disk Utility, click Format and choose Apple JFS. Easy simple and quick.

CLIP...
That was the post I was referring to when I looked up JFS and HFS. I did see the "a" in the second post, but wasn't sure the OP would note the difference. When you go to Disk Utility in OSX it doesn't call it HFS+ or JFS in either case.

Got into Linux in 1999, eh? I helped beta test version 0.2 about 1992, as I recall. I may still have a copy somewhere in my archives. ;D Also ran Slack, Debian and a couple of other variants in the mid 90s. Professionally supported AIX and HP-UX as well as RedHat and Fedora in this century. Never expected Linux to be as big as it is, to be honest. Had a consultant I hired away from AT&T who had worked on the original Unix. Now that man was scary in what he knew about the inside of *ix! He came with a 7" reel of 1/2" tape that had just about every can-opener known to mankind on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.