Transfering Photos on Imac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Hi,

I have a digital SLR and when I plug my camera into my imac computer using the USB cable Iphoto automatically opens and loads the photo previews and then I import photos onto Iphoto.

However what I am trying to achieve is when I plug my camera in it shows a removable drive which I can copy and paste the photo files onto any location I want such as my external hard drive without using Iphoto to import the images.

How do I go about this? I can not get a removable drive to show up when I plug the camera in.

Thanks

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Your iMac has an SD reader, just take the SD card out of the DSLR and plug it into the iMac. Now you'll get a drive that shows up in Finder that you can drag pictures from..

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" Imac 9,1 Core 2 Duo 2.6ghz, 2gb RAM, Snow Leopard, Macbook 7,1 Core 2 Duo 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, SL
Your iMac has an SD reader, just take the SD card out of the DSLR and plug it into the iMac. Now you'll get a drive that shows up in Finder that you can drag pictures from..

Thanks for the reply. My Imac doesn't actually have a card reader. However I have an old plug in SD card reader but it doesn't seem to work with the new SD card I have. So I will buy a new plug in card reader unless there is another way for the computer to read the camera as a storage device rather than a camera through Iphoto. Anyone know of a way to do this?

Thanks

Reaction score
Maybe the old SD card reader is not compatible with the current OS or has failed in some way. Check the cable, as this is a common point of failure. Also we have much higher capacity cards nowadays ad again there may be a compatibility issue

I'd opt for a new SD card reader as I suspect the transfer rate will be quicker, plus they are not expensive

Reaction score
I know this tread is starting to get old and maybe you have found an answer, but maybe someone else will find this handy. To start with if you don't want iPhoto to open every time you plug in a camera go into iPhotos Preferences and change under the General tab "Connecting camera opens: No application". When you plug in the camera open Preview, not iPhoto, and under the File menu you will see "Import from Camera" select your camera and all the photos on the camera will show in the side bar of Preview, Select just the photos you want or use the Import All button. Then choose in the dialog box that pops up where you want to photo's imported too. So many people over look that you can import from a camera or card in Preview and place the photos any place you want without using iPhoto, I do it to Delete bad photos and batch rename all the photos before putting in iPhoto.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Open iPhoto, go to Preferences and under the General Tab there is a option that has a drop down list box that says. "When plugging in your camera do:" Choose No Application from that list box and it want open iPhoto anymore.. Its that simple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.