Mac Bogs Down Playing 1080p

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Waaaaay Tooo Many to list. ...and they always keep changing
I stand corrected on Apple Lossless' extension, thanks for pointing that out. I was thinking of course of MPEG4 audio which is as you know a lossy format.

As for the Safari issue, could it be that you're not ever quitting Safari? That also would cause the issue you're describing. As you probably know, clicking the red "close" button doesn't quit Safari (or most Mac applications, though Apple is a bit inconsistent on this).

Mpeg 4 Audio = M4A. weather it says "lossless" or not it's still .m4a. either way both lossless or packed they both degrade the quality, the only difference is "lossless" uses the unused bits in the words downstream to "pack in" the high level bits of the previous words to even out the bit rate. so technically no data is lost but the re-assembly of data does take time (usually under a millisecond) and has an undesirable effect on the low frequency transients (causing a "soft" low end) and corrupts the phasing of the source material giving it a less punchy and less defined character. im still a huge fan of DSD and SACD but it very hard to find content in that format and with Spectral being bought buy Avid it could be the end of those formats (gone the way of Beta)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
09 MBP 8GB ram 500GB HD OS 10.9 32B iPad 4 32GB iPhone 5 iOs7 2TB TC Apple TV3
Have you tried a Reset Safari ?

OP
D
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Waaaaay Tooo Many to list. ...and they always keep changing
Hey MacInWin, yes there is. i am having a really hard time believing my $10,000.00 mac cant play a simple 1080p24 file without bogging down. i work with massive post (santa monica CA.) editing video amd audio. our workflow is mostly Red 4K which we edit and playback with minor hiccups, but for some mysterious reason 1080p24 brings my mac to a dead stop. i have identified the culprits (services and processes on my PC) but now i need a way to turn these off in the mac OS. the activity monitor is a very watered down task manager and i have eeked out a little performance from it but what i need is a mac version of process explorer and reshack. does anyone know how i can get below the aqua interface (and no terminal is not it, it still works on code above the unix kernel)

C

chas_m

I've been playing 1024p video all day off and on with a 2009 MacBook Pro, so apparently something is wrong with either the "$10,000 Mac" or its owner's setup or practices. Sorry I can't be more specific, but you haven't been very forthcoming with details ...

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
@Damongold
I moved your posts and started a new thread as you are more likely to get help that way, rather than tagging on to an old thread.
Since you posted in a audio thread, I put it in the Music forum.

Welcome to the forums BTW

M

MacInWin

@Damongold
I moved your posts and started a new thread as you are more likely to get help that way, rather than tagging on to an old thread.
Since you posted in a audio thread, I put it in the Music forum.

Welcome to the forums BTW
Thanks, RavingMac, that was why I made the comment about the old thread. Old thread and different topic. Now it stands alone and has a more practical thread tag.

M

MacInWin

@Damongold, can you tell us more about your Mac? What Mac is it? How much memory? OS version? Any symptoms when it starts to give you trouble?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.