Q QEMU emulator for Mac is wanting to download???

Reaction score
I have a strange one that I have never encountered before on my Mac.

A week ago I upgraded from Snow Leopard to Mountain Lion to run a video chat program (ooVoo). So I am now currently running OS X 10.8.4 Build 12E55

Anyway I don't know if it is related or not but since around then (certainly not before the upgrade) every now and then I get these very annoying licence "nag screens" that want me to agree to the licence of Q QEMU :Grimmace:

(I think it says something like Q-0.9.0a89.dmg - or some series of numbers.dmg)

Thing is I always click "disagree" - which I have to click like 10 or more times to the licence "nag screen" disappears. :Grimmace:

BUT IT COMES BACK :Angry:

Sometimes not for a day or a few days - but it comes back.

Now I don't know if this is related to having either or both Mozilla Thunderbird &/or muCommander open - or whether that is just coincidence - but it certainly never used to happen with those or any other program I use.

I do not want Q QEMU - or any other "emulator"!!!

I have NEVER clicked anything to download this lousy program that just won't take no for an answer and keeps wanting me to download/install it.

I have run Ccleaner for Mac several times (to delete temporary Internet files, cookies, Trash, etc), and I have scanned with Bitdefender Antivirus and it reports no infections.

I also keep security at a modem and computer level very tight and I am not on any internal network. I use Mozilla Firefox for a browser and it is set to ask me if a web site wants to use cookies, or install anything and to delete cookies upon closing.

Does anybody have any clue what is going on and how to stop this malware from continually wanting me to agree to its licence terms so it can install?

Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You don't mention how you inadvertently managed to install the QEMU emulator.... and searching around shows that it has no uninstaller. There is an uninstall set of instructions for Linux but not the Mac.

You're probably going to have to uninstall it via the brute force method by searching for its files and possibly startup action. Since you have muCommander, it should be easy enough to find the files as the muCommander shows all files and folders even if they're normally hidden.

You might want to download the free "Find any File" app since spotlight is mostly useless for deep searches.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply - but I don't think that you read or understood my original post fully?

You don't mention how you inadvertently managed to install the QEMU emulator.

That is because I DID NOT INSTALL IT as stated in my original post ;D

As I stated in my original post:

ThatITGuy said:
every now and then I get these very annoying licence "nag screens" that WANT me to agree to the licence of Q QEMU

(I think it says something like Q-0.9.0a89.dmg - or some series of numbers.dmg)

The thing is I always click "disagree" - which I have to click like 10 or more times until the licence "nag screen" disappears.

It has never gone through the actual INSTALL process because I always click "disagree" to the licence and therefore it has never been installed.

It just takes clicking "disagree" 10 or more times for it to give up WANTING TO (for the time being).

I have never given a location for the install, nor given my hard drive password for it to install. It just keeps popping up wanting to install.

There is never a process that shows up that I can "Force Quit" either.

It is this act of on again, off again wanting to install that I want to stop!!!

What is it that every now and again starts this ATTEMPTED install that can and always is aborted by my clicking disagree to the licence terms?

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank You

You might want to download the free "Find any File" app since spotlight is mostly useless for deep searches.

I downloaded and used "Find Any File" and did a "begins with" and "case sensitive" search for "Q" (capital letter).

It found the install package "Q-0.9.0a89.dmg" which identifies itself as a 10 meg Disk Image, created (I guess by the original developer - not by me) on Monday, 3 January 2011 10:20 PM.

It may have been created by the original developer in 2011, but it was obviously downloaded on the back of some other program since last week (when I did the Mountain Lion? and ooVoo? updates; or when my wife went to a particular educational web site that she had been to safely previously? as it only started happening after then) and only started to want to install in the last week.

Anyway I have now deleted it to Trash and I am about to do a secure delete with Ccleaner - so hopefully that is it and my issues will be over.

Google shows a lot of talk about this and "Growl" both being programs that are often downloaded and installed by piggy-backing (back dooring) on other legitimate programs without the user's express permission or knowledge.

Anyway chscag thank you for your suggestion about using "Find Any File"

Cheers

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Anyway chscag thank you for your suggestion about using "Find Any File"

OK, great, glad you found it. I hate when that happens. I have no idea why some developers piggy back their junk on legitimate downloads. Reminds me of my days in Windows....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.