Remote syncing iPad to iMac.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
I'm off to the USA soon where I intend to get an iPad mini. If I leave the Mac switched on at home will I be able to access it from the iPad or do they have to talk to each other first via a bluetooth link? If I can do it remotely where can I find the method?
Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 iMac.
If you plan on syncing wirelessy with iTunes, you need to be connected via Wi-Fi.

You could look into iTunes Match as it sounds like its the closest thing available for what you are looking for.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Thanks Willis, what I am really needing to do is sync to my address book and calendar, iTunes can wait until I back to the UK. Would an easier way be to carry the data on a stick and up load to the iPad when I get it?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
Do you use iCloud?

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
Not a Cloud user yet. I am having enough trouble doing (and remembering) the simple things!

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
If all you are needing to do is sync Contacts and Calendar information iCloud is probably the easier route assuming your gear meets the system requirements.

Google provides similar functionality but I have not tried it personally. It may be an option if you are running gear that does not support iCloud.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 iMac, 2017 MBA
OK guys, thanks and I'll investigate the iCloud route over the next few days.

C

chas_m

Google provides similar functionality compared to iCloud in the same sense that a build-it-yourself car kit provides the same functionality as a pre-assembled car. :)

Go with iCloud. You can always switch to Google later if you feel the need, but iCloud setup will be built right into your iPad mini's setup and just couldn't be easier.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
And if you want to Access actual Files on your Mac at any time via iPad, you can do this quite simply with great Apps from Avatron. In particular look at Air Login and then make sure you download the Server App for the Mac. I have used this and controlled my Mac from Sydney while the computer was 5000kms away over the other side of the country.
There are free and cheaper ways and Apps, but i back this without any hesitation and give it the thumbs up.

The other way is to just for the trip, to put things into DropBox, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, SkyDrive or Box on your Mac, and then access them from the iPad App ?? Many choices out there

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
And if you want to Access actual Files on your Mac at any time via iPad, you can do this quite simply with great Apps from Avatron. In particular look at Air Login and then make sure you download the Server App for the Mac. I have used this and controlled my Mac from Sydney while the computer was 5000kms away over the other side of the country.
There are free and cheaper ways and Apps, but i back this without any hesitation and give it the thumbs up.

The other way is to just for the trip, to put things into DropBox, Google Drive, Amazon Cloud Drive, SkyDrive or Box on your Mac, and then access them from the iPad App ?? Many choices out there

In addition to TattooedMacs very comprehensive post I'll throw the logmein iOS app into the arena as the best remote desktop solution (IMO) - supports multiple platforms - free for basic rdc - quick - no weird gestures to learn - robust. I use it daily on wifi and 3g connections and have used it around the world without issue.

I'll also add that while iCloud calendar and contact sync is pretty easy to configure Google sync is only a matter of following a short few steps - more like putting a spare tyre on than building the car yourself ;)
If you need some OS independence (contacts/calendars shared on iOS/Mac/Windows/Android etc) then syncing with Google becomes more attractive. Though, conceded, it's not as easy to configure as just entering your AppleID & password in settings

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.