Fractal Generator for Mac

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Coises! Foiled again! I have been searching with no luck for a free fractal generator for the Mac, and in desperation came here. Ran a search and came up with one option, which Google then could not find.

Does anyone know of such an application please? I tried Apophysis, but was unable to extract the .sea file even with stuffit. I can never understand when to the best of my knowledge, the Mac is the computer of choice for artists and designers, why finding creative software is so difficult.
Thank you in advance an really keeping my fingers crossed for some help here.

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Wow! That was warp speed. This forum has always been quick, but that was the fastest reply ever! Thank you so much. Time to feed the neighbourhood kitties, but I shall try all four this evening and report back.
Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Kath three minutes is three minutes lol!

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Took a quick look, and of the four Quadrium would seem to me the closest to what I was hoping for. However... it only apparently saves files as quadd files (whatever those are?) whereas Apophysis, or so I have read, can save the files as .png files to be later composited in Photoshop and which is primarily where I do all of my work. Still early in the game though, so I will have to mess around with it a bit more and see if I can figure something out.
Thank you.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Build the fractal you want, then use screenshots to put the image in a graphic file you can open in PS.

There you go simplifying things. I probably could have adapted a Dynamic Industrial Renovating Tractormajigger to do the job just as well.

Seriously, Never thought of that. My brain was stuck asking what software could convert the file.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I have been searching with no luck for a free fractal generator for the Mac, and in desperation came here.

Hmmm...not sure how to take this statement (thumbs up, or thumb's down)!:Confused:

We should be a great place to come whenever help is needed.:) Not the place to come when all else fails ("desperation").

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21" iMac 2.9Ghz 16GB RAM - 10.11.3, iPhone6s & iPad Air 2 - iOS 9.2.1, ATV 4Th Gen tvOS, ATV3
Hmmm...not sure how to take this statement (thumbs up, or thumb's down)!:Confused:

We should be a great place to come whenever help is needed.:) Not the place to come when all else fails ("desperation").

- Nick

HAHA Nick, always the conservative ;)

OP
kathmat
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OSX Monteray 12.5
Mea Culpa Nick - The old upbringing I guess, don't just go bothering people until you have exhausted the alternate possibilities. Ergo, I did a Google search on my own before coming here. Never thought of the app store, and this to Slydude - based on the demos I have seen, the fractals are on solid backgrounds and which I could modify or eliminate with blend modes in some cases, or extract in a time consuming manner, but a screen shot is a very low resolution image (as I am sure you are aware) and would not work for my purposes.
I can build an image that "looks like" a fractal in Photoshop, but without the algorithms is obviously not a true fractal. What I am hoping for is a final product akin to what one sees on Deviant Art.

To reiterate, all of these applications seem to abound for Windows, and even Event Planning and Rendering software and for which I have been searching for years, does not exist for the Mac. Vivien by Cast and which is the standard for the event industry is only for Windows and it goes on and on. Maybe Mac people are just better at getting from a to b without the instant gratification of third party software - who knows? :) Sorry - tangent travelling - have not had my morning cuppa as yet. OK gentlemen, I will follow TattooedMacs suggestion. Moving on...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.