Arris Gateway Modem and Airport Extreme

Reaction score
Time Warner Cable has recently had us install an Arris TG852 D3 and it's been a mess in interacting with our Airport Extreme. Having a computer hooked up directly to the modem via an internet cable works fine, but as long as it it's wired with the AE the wifi signal is spotty and down to 5 Mpbs at times (we pay for about 50).

I found thread on macforums with a similar problem here:
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/in...xtreme-initial-setup-about-pull-hair-out.html

I think the problem is that both the AE and Arris are sending out a WiFi signal. But when I set the AE to "bridge mode," the wifi doesn't work at all (as reported in the above thread as well.) Any suggestions? Here are my settings now:
SJm0m27.png

(Additionally, the Arris should supposedly be sending out its own signal according to the pamphlet Time Warner gave us, but it isn't...)

Thanks for any help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I'm not mistaken, the Arris TG852 D3 is actually a modem/router. As such, you're likely correct that its WiFi radio is sending out a signal along with the AE. Have you tried using the Arris alone without the AE to see if it works normally and brings the speed back up?

Also, did Time Warner supply you with instructions on how to enter the Arris' internal firmware menu? You may have to do that in order to set it up correctly. As far as the AE is concerned, I would think you would want to set the Arris in bridge mode and instead use the AE as your primary WiFi router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.