Help me plan a new Mac-based home setup...

Reaction score
My first post here - I'm looking for some advice as I consider a number of options for overhauling my current computer setup at home. I've pretty much decided (about 95% certain) that I'm going to switch from PC to Mac, but I have an odd arrangement. Here are the details of my current setup, and then what I'm thinking about going to next.

Current:
  • In a spare bedroom, I have my one & only Windows desktop PC (a Dell business unit that's about 5 years old). It has several external hard drives connected, as well as an older inkjet printer.
  • I then have a specialty Keyboard-Video-Mouse 'extender' box connected that allows me to run over Cat5 cable a duplicate set of controls and video from the bedroom into the living room.
  • This connects to the receiver box for the extender setup, which in turn plugs into a monitor and to USB-based wireless keyboard and mouse. This allows me to sit in the living room and see/control the main PC without having to setup & run a second PC (with the extra electricity and noise - most Windows boxes are quite loud). It also allows me to multitask - watching TV while surfing on the web, answering email, etc. I know that this is typically the area for laptops, but I generally don't like to use a laptop for extended periods.

I'd like to keep this general functionality (main computer with higher power - CPU, memory - in the back bedroom; full-sized monitor, keyboard and mouse [or magic trackpad?] in the living room in a semi-permanent configuration), with the living room setup possibly tweaked to include a second computer and also a connection into my home theater. So this is what I was thinking:

My thoughts:
  • Spare Bedroom: iMac - not sure about 21" or 27", upgrade to 16 GB RAM, possibly go with SSD or Fusion drive
  • Living Room: Either 21" iMac or a notebook connected to a Thunderbolt display (to allow for more options); possibly add an Apple TV to mirror desktop on TV
  • Network: I've been thinking about moving my data over to a NAS, like a Synology DS1512+, which would alleviate the issue of where I plug in an external hard drive

Some questions: in general, would you recommend even looking at a Mac Mini for the Living Room computer? It would mostly be for general internet usage and audio/video playback, but I could see myself possibly doing some light gaming. I would also look at doing something like VNC across the network to the 'main' computer, so I could access that machine's more powerful setup for quick tasks (like a fast video encode).

I'd appreciate any feedback - given that what I've seen online seems to be pointing towards some hardware refreshes potentially coming from Apple later this Fall, I do plan to wait to see what might happen before pulling the trigger. Thanks for any input.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I do something similar, just with a laptop. My main machine is a early 2011 MacBook Pro. Under my TV sits a 2009 Mac Mini, connected to a Drobo. My Mini acts as my media server and HTPC. For that purpose, the Mini is a perfect candidate.

What kind of gaming are we talking? A Mini will be able to handle some light gaming, but it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.

OP
J
Reaction score
I do something similar, just with a laptop. My main machine is a early 2011 MacBook Pro. Under my TV sits a 2009 Mac Mini, connected to a Drobo. My Mini acts as my media server and HTPC. For that purpose, the Mini is a perfect candidate.

What kind of gaming are we talking? A Mini will be able to handle some light gaming, but it doesn't have a dedicated graphics card.

I haven't gamed in a while (my current PC is kind of a dog), but I'm interested in getting back into some games that intrigue me - something like The Bureau: XCOM, Ducktales Remastered (I'm old), *maybe* Bioshock Infinite. All of this would depend on having a machine that is capable of playing these games, otherwise I wouldn't bother. I'd probably look around Steam and see what I could get there.

Do you think that for my main 'power' computer (in the setup I described earlier, in the back bedroom), I might go with a MacBook Pro instead of an iMac? Do you see any specific benefits to this?

When I did a side-by-side (or, tab-by-tab) comparison in terms of price and specs, it would be significantly more expensive to get an equivalently spec'd MBPro plus a display than an iMac. Even without the display it's still more expensive (which makes sense, since we're comparing a laptop to a fixed machine). In fact, the more I look at this, I'm starting to lean towards an iMac in both locations.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
For your main computer an iMac is a good choice. I used to have one but needed to get a MBP for work for the portability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.