Mac Battery Question

Reaction score
After five years, my early 2008 Macbook Pro needed a new battery. In fact...the battery started bulging out of the back and getting really scary looking. So I decided it was high time to replace it.

I was told by the guys at the Apple Store [off the record of course] to go and buy a battery off eBay or Amazon for half the price. And...Apple wasn't carrying my battery on their online store anymore. I needed to start using my laptop again, so I found what a retailer called Amaline Electronics who were selling these batteries brand new for $60. They had a really good return policy, so I figured they were good business. They even sent a return envelope with my battery just in case.

However...when I put in the battery, which Amaline Electronics on eBay called "Brand New," it said, "Replace Now." I should mention that this is the exact state my old battery was in before I got rid of it.

I checked the cycles in the System Profiler in the Utilities folder...and it said it was on its first cycle. Still however, it said, "Replace Now." Is there some sort of process you have to do to reset the battery condition? Like...does it take time for the Mac to analyze the condition of the battery? Or is something fishy going on here?

It has the official Mac emblem on the back and appears just like my old battery. It really seems authentic. Nothing strange on the surface. And Amaline Electronics has really great reviews on eBay.

Any advice/thoughts would be awesome!

--naffee3579

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It has the official Mac emblem on the back and appears just like my old battery. It really seems authentic. Nothing strange on the surface. And Amaline Electronics has really great reviews on eBay.

First, try resetting the SMC for your MacBook. Go here for instructions. If that doesn't work, it could be the battery you purchased is not compatible. You didn't mention if it worked - charging, etc?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, great. Have fun and visit us often. :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.