water damage & apple care

Reaction score
Hi,
Does apple care help in anyway on getting a macbook pro repaired from water damage?
Also does anyone here have Square Trade? I heard they cover water damage repairs? Just want to know if Square Trade is reliable?
Thanks!

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

AppleCare+ for iPhone covers 2 accidental damage cases with a small deductible. No such thing exists for the Macbook Pro and water damage is definitely not covered by warranty.

Start by reading this: http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

Depending on the level of damage, you might be in for quite a hefty bill to get it all fixed..

How old is your Macbook Pro?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Hi,
Does apple care help in anyway on getting a macbook pro repaired from water damage?

Absolutely not. Please read this Sticky thread for more info on liquid spills:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ap...iquid-my-macbook-what-do-i-do-now-thread.html

Also does anyone here have Square Trade? I heard they cover water damage repairs? Just want to know if Square Trade is reliable?

If your MacBook Pro is already water-damaged...purchasing warranty coverage needs to be done before the damage occurs.

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Raz0rEdge MacBook Pro is just a little passed 30 days old :'(

Raz0rEdge & pigoo3 Thanks, I will read that thread right now.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Claire, that's too bad. Water damage is quite hard to deal with and depending on where and how much of it has gotten in might require replacing the logic board (runs around $750-$900) and perhaps other components..

Do read the thread and follow the suggestions in there and see what happens. Then, you might want to take it to your local Apple Store and have them look at it and tell you how much it'd cost to fix it..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro is just a little passed 30 days old :'(

WOW...only 30 days old...that's a shame!:(

Normally when a liquid spill happens...the computer is usually older...and the depreciated value of the computer usually prohibits the investment of replacing the logic board (just too expensive relative to the value of the computer).

But with such a new computer...with a very high current value...it may actually make sense to replace the logic board. Still not a very inexpensive repair...but more worth it than on an older computer.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mid-2010 Mac Mini OS 10.12.6 Sierra, 2.66 GHz C2D, 8GB RAM, 30 in. Cinema Display
Claire24 . . . I have no help to offer. I just wanted to say I sure hate that happened to you...and only 30 some days old, too.

OP
C
Reaction score
I know. I currently am having a heart attack right now..... And the funny thing is I always used PC and have never spilled liquid ever. I switch to a macbook pro with retina and this happens. I spilled water right on the keyboards....turned it off and tried to dry it. As I'm wiping I accidentally hit the power button 2 times so it turned on and had to turn it off again. It's been drying for 2.5 days and I tried to turn it on this morning and it won't turn on at all.... Should I wait for it to dry longer or am I pretty much screwed?? :(

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
.... Should I wait for it to dry longer or am I pretty much screwed?? :(

Sorry to say it...but most of the time...liquid + laptop = dead laptop.:(

Just imagine dropping a running hair dryer into a tub full of water...probably wouldn't expect the hair dryer to continue to work after fishing it out of the water.

I like to believe nothing is 100%...but the odds are strongly against the MacBook Pro working normally again. We just have way too much experience with this sort of thing at Mac-Forums. It's pretty rare for a liquid spilled laptop to work normally, partially, or at all without the damaged parts being replaced (logic board).

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
Ouch! :(
Thanks so much for all you guys' response. It was very helpful!!
Guess I'm off to the apple store.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Good Luck!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Just saw this thread.....

ALL my appliances and stuff are covered by my home-owners insurance, but....

....there is a $500.00 deductible.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ALL my appliances and stuff are covered by my home-owners insurance, but....

....there is a $500.00 deductible.

Good point...I almost always forget about that!;)

But like you mentioned...if the deductible is on the higher side ($500+)...this is close to the cost of the computer repair...and maybe not worth the risk of increasing the insurance premiums due to a claim.

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I did some checking around about covering certain items under home owner's insurance. Since almost every policy has some sort of deductible, high value items including your Mac have to be "scheduled". What that means is you give the insurance company a list of those items (your wife's engagement ring, gold, heirloom items, computers, etc) and they will charge accordingly for those and schedule them at no deductible.

Most of the time it's less expensive to use your insurance company (that insures your home or rental unit) than it is to buy special insurance such as "Square Trade". At least that has been my experience.

Reaction score
Do an inventory and save original receipts.....

Better yet, video your precious stuff with commentary and those receipts.

BTW, I saw prices for that logic board replace at $600-$800.

Speaking of logic board replacement, is there a thread on the MB Pro 2010 and the screen from ****? You know, the one where Apple is replacing certain logic boards for free but isn't advertising it?

It seems, my opinion, that Operating System upgrades are leaving the hardware engineering of older MacBooks and the like in the dust bin. Just my opinion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.