CMD/CTRL vs. CTRL

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Retina MacBook Pro - 2.4Ghz Quad Core i7 - 8GB DDR3 1600Mhz RAM - 256GB Flash Storage
This is my second day with my new mac and this is my first time using OS X. I was a windows power user (spent over 8 hours a day on PC) and I'm having a hard adjusting to CMD/CTRL.

My first issue is the fact that CMD+V and CMD+C seem so uncomfortable to press. I'm using the apple wireless keyboard. Has anyone else noticed this? Is this something I'll just get used to? What fingers do you use to press these keys?

My second issue is knowing when to use CTRL and CMD. Is there any easy way to remember which one to use? I always use CTRL+V and CTRL+C when trying to copy and paste and it's a pain when I try to paste and realize I didn't actually copy anything.

Thanks.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums and the world of Macs..

I also use the Apple wireless keyboard and traditionally use my thumb to hit the CMD and index finger for C and V..

For most common things, you'll see the CMD key more than the CTRL key and the CTRL key is usually used in combination with other keys like CMD, OPTION, and SHIFT to hit up other shortcuts..

What I've found to be immsenly helpful is the CheatSheet that shows the shortcuts for each app that you're in.

So If you're in Chrome or Safari or Finder, press and hold the CMD key for a few seconds and you get a nice list of all the supported shortcuts (and you can use them once you figure out what each symbol means..:) )

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I think this will get more comfortable soon. I am more used to the Mac way and have trouble remembering to use CTRL when I am on Windows. My brain knows which one to use but my fingers insist on using the wrong key.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
This is my second day with my new mac and this is my first time using OS X. I was a windows power user (spent over 8 hours a day on PC) and I'm having a hard adjusting to CMD/CTRL.

This is simply an adjustment issue. At home I've been an almost exclusive Apple Macintosh user for the last 27 years...and I have absolutely no problems using the command key. As mentioned above...the control key is used MUCH LESS often...so not a problem for long time Mac users.

Just got to give yourself time to adjust.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.