iPhoto albums within albums?

Reaction score
I'm a new mac user, just getting to know iPhoto... I can't seem to find a way to put albums within albums... when I merge one event with another, they all end up as individual photos in the event, or album. I have 20 events/albums for say 2012, so if I make one event/album 2012, and try to add my other albums intact, as albums, they all meld into one huge file. Whet I'd like is one album 2012, then inside that my christmas 2012 album intact, my summer 2012 album intact... etc. etc. Is this possible? Or must I have one event/album entitled 2012 with 3000 photos in it? Hard to find stuff that way... please help this iPhoto newbie... thanks, Jennifer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
If you want an "Album" in an Album, which as you've discovered you can't do in iPhoto, then create a Folder instead, and then you can create other Folders or Albums in that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks... I actually tried that, but the albums end up in the library and not inside iPhoto where the other albums are... confusing... do I create a folder which stays in the library, then drag the albums into it? What I'd like to see is an event like the year 2012, with all my 2012 albums inside it... are you telling me I can't do that? If I do put them in a library, do they leave iPhoto or are they still there?

C

chas_m

I don't think what you want to do is possible. A Smart Album should give you the pictures that you want based on certain criteria, but that's as far as I think iPhoto will go with you.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
do I create a folder which stays in the library, then drag the albums into it?
No. Unless the latest iPhoto is different, go into the iPhoto File Menu, and choose New Folder. You can then create Albums within that, and/or another Folder and then Albums in that etc.

What I'd like to see is an event like the year 2012, with all my 2012 albums inside it
As above. Just create a Folder for 2012, then create your Albums inside it.

Note, it's best not to go into the iPhoto Library folder and start doing stuff. You can seriously mess up iPhoto by doing that.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.