• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Movie/Audio editing software

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am looking for some mid level capable video editing software that I can use on my my macbook pro - version 10.6.8 that is also capable of audio editing. Also, I would really like the software to have the capability to convert video files as well, specifically from AVI to mp4 or any format usable with the video editing software. I am also willing to upgrade my OS if that is necessary or purchase a separate converter but there has to be something out there that does both well?(including audio editing) If it is the best deal to get a video/audio editer and video converter separate I would do that but I am in a position to be money concious. Any help would be appreciated and if you could include prices/links that would be a bonus.

Thanks

C

chas_m

Any MacBook Pro newer than 2008 should be running Mountain Lion, so I'd suggest that.

For conversions, I'd suggest the $10 iFFmpeg or the $15 Permute. They can handle audio conversions as well.

For video editing, the iMovie you have is probably sufficient, though I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version. You can also look at Final Cut Pro X ($200) or Adobe Premiere Elements or Pro ($100-300).

For audio editing, it greatly depends on what level we're talking here. You can do basic audio editing in Garageband, but I much prefer Amadeus Pro ($40 I think) or Sound Studio 4 (about the same price), and there are other options too.

Reaction score
Any MacBook Pro newer than 2008 should be running Mountain Lion, so I'd suggest that.

For conversions, I'd suggest the $10 iFFmpeg or the $15 Permute. They can handle audio conversions as well.

For video editing, the iMovie you have is probably sufficient, though I'd suggest upgrading to the latest version. You can also look at Final Cut Pro X ($200) or Adobe Premiere Elements or Pro ($100-300).

For audio editing, it greatly depends on what level we're talking here. You can do basic audio editing in Garageband, but I much prefer Amadeus Pro ($40 I think) or Sound Studio 4 (about the same price), and there are other options too.

I need some similar software, but I thought iMovie only records video....I didn't know you can load full vids into iMovie.... ? Is that right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 13” i5 (2012) , iPhone5 16GB (white), iPhone4 8GB (white), iPad2 64GB 3G, Apple TV

I use Audacity (free) for audio editing. It has a number of effects which are very useful.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.