HELP with Kies and Samsung galaxy

Reaction score
I am trying to get music off my sons Galaxy s3 before I sell it. I have downloaded KIES onto the Mac...and when it finds the device and you click on music, the only thing showing up is his ringtones?
HOW can I get all this music we've paid for onto the mac so it can be used via itunes? Or am I out the money for all that music?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
There are several apps which can transfer iTunes music from an iPod, iPhone, and iPad back into iTunes. However, I'm not sure any of them would work with a Samsung Galaxy but it wouldn't hurt to try. Let's see if we can find one for free.....

Try this one: LINK

If that doesn't work, do a Google search on the subject. You should come up with many various suggestions. One other thing you might try (and I'm not familiar with the Galaxy phones): We have two Samsung phones here for myself and wife and both can be attached to our Mac via USB. The phone's memory appears as a removable device on the Mac's desktop. Music can be copied direct from the phone's memory to the Mac.

Again, I don't know if you can do that with the Galaxy but you might want to give it a try.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Download the official Android File Transfer app and try that. Kies seems to be much too troublesome for many people so I'd suggest avoiding it.

OP
A
Reaction score
Well I downloaded KIES which is supposedly what works for transferring music with a samsung (android) product. It reads the phone...but when you go to MUSIC it only picks up his ring tones, not his actual songs.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Well I downloaded KIES which is supposedly what works for transferring music with a samsung (android) product. It reads the phone...but when you go to MUSIC it only picks up his ring tones, not his actual songs.

Download the official Android File Transfer app and try that. Kies seems to be much too troublesome for many people so I'd suggest avoiding it.
Already got you covered with a potential workaround. ;)

OP
A
Reaction score
not working..keeps popping up saying either "no device found" or there is no software intalled to read my device.
Going to try hooking it to my old PC tonight and see if I can transfer that way, then put songs on a flashdrive and put them onto my mac that way..
Thanks for hte help!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Android's filesystem is natively supported by Windows so that shouldn't be an issue (at the very least, it should be less of an issue). If all you need to do is get content off before you wipe it clean, I think that's your best route.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.