Deleting an mbr from a leopard hard drive

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC PRO
I recently bought a mac pro and i wanted to do a dual boot from mac to windows 7, well i have two mac operating systems and two windows 7 os. I formatted one drive with windows 7. And since that has happened one of my two mac drives is being recognized as a windows os with a master boot record on it. I would like to delete that mbr off the mac os drive, for i have pertinent info on it and do not want to lose it. Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

M

MacInWin

Even with an mbr, the drive should still mount under OSX so that you can copy off the files you want to save. Once that is done, you should be able to reformat the drive for OSX again. I am NOT an expert on Leopard, but that is certainly the way it's worked since SL.

OP
A
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MAC PRO
Thanks for the response. Do you think i could remove the mbr through windows management console? or with active partition recovery software? Oh yeah, those Mac drives are snow leopard and leopard. I took the leopard drive from a G5.

M

MacInWin

I haven't used Windows in years so I can't answer the question about Windows management center. But the safest thing to do is to mount the drive, copy the files you want to save to another drive and then repartition the drive. If you go mucking with the drive structure trying to delete the mgr, you risk getting it into a state where neither OSX nor Windows can mount it an losing everything.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.