Removing Hard drive icon from desktop? Finder won't let me

Reaction score
In finder I know you can go to Finder -> General -> Preferences and uncheck the box for Hard Drives under "Shows these items on the desktop".

Unfortuantely for me the box won't uncheck.

Neither will the boxes for External Disks or Connected Servers.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Josh

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
You must not be logged in with an Administrator account.

OP
J
Reaction score
I am actually logged in as administrator. I have two users and both are admins on the machine. Neither works.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Which version of OS X is the machine running? Try repairing permissions, however, the method varies depending on which version of OS X is installed. For Lion and above, repairing permissions is done from the recovery console; Snow Leopard and below, boot from the install disk first.

OP
J
Reaction score
Sorry this took me so long to get back to you. There was no recovery partition on my machine and I've been out of town and didn't want to do it while I was away from home.

I've gone to the recovery console and it said everything was fine. It has something to do with the way these machines are being cloned at corporate as a colleague of mine has the exact same problem.

Any other ideas where to start?

Thanks

Josh

OP
J
Reaction score
I just did a reinstall of OSX from the recovery console and even though it kept all my settings I can now uncheck the boxes. Very strange.

Thanks for the help

Josh

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.