new user questions

1stcare

I am looking for some direction. My name is Marc, I just purchased a MacBook Pro, expecting it later this month. I am a Family Physician and not happy with the cost of purchasing an EMR. I read that FIleMaker Pro has been used and can be programmed using Apple Script. I am new to mac, not happy with my PC. How difficult is it to learn AppleScript and is there a beginner reference?? Also do you have any other suggestions?? Thanks in advance for you help.

Marc

Reaction score
I had to look up EMR (electronic medical record) in the acronym finder, though I suppose any MDs who see this would know what the post is about, and certainly would have more information that I can supply.

AppleScript can be used with FileMaker. Here's what Google came up with when I used its advanced search:

Web Results 1 - 100 of about 230,000 English pages for applescript mac OR macintosh "filemaker". (0.14 seconds)

Running a search for EMR mac OR macintosh came up with a bunch, too, but some at the top of the listings required extensive forms to be filled in to download even a demo, I suppose. But there's a freebie here that according to the page is cross-platform, so I suppose it could trade files with computers running other systems. It will run native on Intel Macs.

There should be a comma or a "that" after "simple" in this sentence, though. Otherwise the app is only for moronic physicians. :)
and a user interface so simple physicians can begin using it right away.

OP
J

jn4jenny

I'm the totally wrong person to ask about AppleScript, but do take a look at some of the Open Source EMR's available for free. Just search for "EMR" at www.sourceforge.net. It looks like OSCAR is a pretty nice one, so even if you end up writing your own, maybe you can use some of OSCAR's forms and templates?

Direct link to OSCAR: http://oscarmcmaster.org/

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
My only recommendation, regardless of how you implement your EMR system, or which product you use, is that you be certain it's HIPAA compliant and secure.

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.