New Macbook Questions

Reaction score
Just got my new Macbook yesterday,
and I'm already loving it!
It's taking a bit to adjust, since I'm switching from a Windows and never used a Mac before, but I'm really liking it already. :)
I'm surprised how easily I've already adjusted to some stuff.

1) I am getting a notification that there is a Software Update (OS X 10.8.4), should I update it? I googled it (my gosh, I've googled so many "how do I _____ on a Mac?" things already, lol), and it seems like a lot of people were reporting having issues with 10.8.4, so I'm a little hesitant to update it. Should I?

2) What is Launch Pad? Is it pretty much just what stores all your Apps, similar to just the "Menu" on Windows?

3) Also, is Microsoft Office pretty easy to install?
I've installed Office before on previous laptops and never really had an issue.
Just want to make sure it's pretty easy to do before I go trying to install it on my own and messing something up.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Google any software update and you will see people with issues. Sometimes its justified but I have had no problems and are not aware of any other issues. In this case it sounds like people are having other problems and blaming the update.

I would go ahead, since there aren't any widely reported issues with this update

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
1) I am getting a notification that there is a Software Update (OS X 10.8.4), should I update it? I googled it (my gosh, I've googled so many "how do I _____ on a Mac?" things already, lol), and it seems like a lot of people were reporting having issues with 10.8.4, so I'm a little hesitant to update it. Should I?
As mrplow said, you'll always find people that have issues with updates. If you're really concerned, read through the issues and see if any apply. If not, install the update.

2) What is Launch Pad? Is it pretty much just what stores all your Apps, similar to just the "Menu" on Windows?
Nothing explains it better than this.

3) Also, is Microsoft Office pretty easy to install?
I've installed Office before on previous laptops and never really had an issue.
Just want to make sure it's pretty easy to do before I go trying to install it on my own and messing something up.
It's a "next next done" wizard like you'd see on Windows - open the installer, click next a few times and enjoy.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
And just one more thought. Someone...somewhere...will always have a problem with an update. And sometimes they will misinterpret that the update caused the issue...when it may be due to something else (not related to the update).

And as a more general comment. There will always be someone somewhere that will always have a problem with something/anything. And if you search the internet...you will find it.

The intelligent person must determine if a problem is widespread or an isolated incident. If not widespread...then everything most likely will be fine.

- Nick

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Someone...somewhere...will always have a problem with an update.
This is worth repeating. Given the innumerable number of configurations, there is no way an update sent out to millions will work flawlessly everywhere.

OP
C
Reaction score
Another question....
My battery has run down 17% within about 45-60 minutes...
Is that normal?
I read that I may have things running in the "background" still, but how do I find out what is running in the background?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
That's an impossible question to answer since we have no idea what you're doing on your machine. Battery depletion is going to differ drastically depending on how hard your machine is working

OP
C
Reaction score
That's an impossible question to answer since we have no idea what you're doing on your machine. Battery depletion is going to differ drastically depending on how hard your machine is working

Is there a way to view what's using up my battery life and stuff then?
I'm not doing a whole lot, just working on re-arranging widgets and LaunchPad stuff, and casually browsing the internet.

M

MacInWin

Turn down screen brightness, that's the biggest battery killer. Also, unlike Windows, the red X does NOT close the application, it just pushes it into the background still running. That's handy most of the time so you can get something started that is going to take a while, then move on to other stuff while it's finishing. To adjust brightness, either use the F1/F2 keys or go to System Preferences (the icon of gears in the Dock), then Displays and use the slider to set brightness. To see what's running, Finder/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor will show what's taking up CPU and Memory.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Is there a way to view what's using up my battery life and stuff then?
Not that I know of but that doesn't mean something like that doesn't exist (Android has that functionality so it must be possible to track battery usage in relation to applications).

Reaction score
I am very new to Macbook too.
I used Migration Assistant to get my stuff transferred and now running fine.
Cannot understand why you want to bother with Office. The Mac equivalents are super and a fraction of the price.
As for updating to 10.8.4, I took the plunge and everything is absolutely fine.
I agree that the Mac is super .....so long as you try to unlearn your Windows habits. I am convinced that one needs an open mind to get the best out of the Mac because it is so intuitive. Windows logic just holds you back from maximising your Mac experience.
Richard

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Cannot understand why you want to bother with Office. The Mac equivalents are super and a fraction of the price.
That's open to debate. As someone who needs perfect compatibility, you'd have to pay me before I use iWork. It's not that it's bad but sometimes it butchers Word documents (I can't speak for the other formats) just enough to drive me crazy.

OP
C
Reaction score
I am very new to Macbook too.
I used Migration Assistant to get my stuff transferred and now running fine.
As for updating to 10.8.4, I took the plunge and everything is absolutely fine.
I agree that the Mac is super .....so long as you try to unlearn your Windows habits. I am convinced that one needs an open mind to get the best out of the Mac because it is so intuitive. Windows logic just holds you back from maximising your Mac experience.
Richard

Actually, my college offers Microsoft to students for $30.
So, considering Pages is $20 by itself, Microsoft Office was a better deal anyways,
as well as the fact that I just like it better (I'd had Pages and Keynote before on my iPad and didn't care for it much).

OP
C
Reaction score
Another question: What is the difference between your "Photos" folder and "iPhoto"?
I've saved some images, and some have saved to my photos folder while others have been saved to iPhoto, and it's just making me confused trying to figure out which is where, and what the difference is and stuff.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Compatibility is the big issue. Whether you or other iWork pundits like it or not, Office is the de facto standard at universities and businesses. I have used Pages a number of times and it just doesn't "hack" it.

Also your assumption of the "fraction of the price" is overstated. MS Office 2011 student and home version can be purchased for around $90.00 on the web, whereas the iWork apps are $19.99 each and never discounted. $60 compared to $90 is not even close to being a fraction; well OK, a large fraction. ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Another question: What is the difference between your "Photos" folder and "iPhoto"?
I've saved some images, and some have saved to my photos folder while others have been saved to iPhoto, and it's just making me confused trying to figure out which is where, and what the difference is and stuff.
iPhoto is an application that you can use to manage your photos (organize them, make light edits, share them, etc.) whereas your Pictures folder is just a folder like any other.

OP
C
Reaction score
iPhoto is an application that you can use to manage your photos (organize them, make light edits, share them, etc.) whereas your Pictures folder is just a folder like any other.

Hmm, so is it easier to organize them through the Pictures folder or iPhoto?
Or is it kinda just a matter of preference?

Also, I noticed if you press Command+Tab, it shows a few things. Does that mean those are the things still running in your background? For example, I just did it and had Word and Mail on there still. So does that mean those were the ones running in my background?

C

chas_m

iPhoto has its own "vault" that it uses to store and manage photos.

The "photos" folder is intended for photos you don't want to keep in iPhoto (or Aperture, or Lightroom) for whatever reason.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I Mac 27-inch 3.2 GHz Intel Core i5 24GB ram. MacBook Pro 13-inch 2.5GHz dual-core Intel i5 16GB ram
Also, I noticed if you press Command+Tab, it shows a few things. Does that mean those are the things still running in your background? For example, I just did it and had Word and Mail on there still. So does that mean those were the ones running in my background?

Yes, These are your open apps.
If you hold the cmd key down you can cycle though you open apps by repeatedly pressing the tab key. They can then be closed with cmd+Q.

C

chas_m

The procedure docx describes can be done all at once. Put your thumb on the command key, hold it down and leave it down. Use another finger to tap the TAB key to cycle through open apps. When you find one you want to quit right now, just move your finger over to the "q" key and press it, then back to the tab key to move to the next app you want to quit.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.