Thinking of making the switch

C

Clandestine

Alright so atm I have a PC that I love, but you can say im getting bored of PC's.. And I want to try something different. I'm currently going to High-Tech Institute for graphic design. And I've heard that Macs where better for this type of job. I've always been a hater on Macs, but I dont know their look and cleanness put a soft spot in my heart and now I want to get one. Apple offers a studenet discount for people attending college. They nock of like $100 or so USD.

I was also woundering which one to get, the iMac with the intel, iMac G5, and also was thinking of getting one of their notebooks. I am going to be using the Mac for all my graphic design web browsing and all that jazz. And I will retire my PC just for games. So which do you think would benifit me as a graphic designs artist iMac Intel, iMacG5, or their notebooks?

thank you

-Devyn

(p.s what other features does Mac offer that the PC doesnt that makes it sooooo awweeessssoommmmeee?)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
There's not much you can do on a Mac that you can't do on a PC.

It's been a long-standing notion that Macs are better than PCs for graphics work, but not so much anymore. Adobe makes programs for both Macs and PCs, so does Macromedia. Pretty much every "industry standard" program is made for both now, so it ends up being a choice of operating systems. I prefer Macs.

I'm not trying to "talk down" Macs (I hate Windows more than the flu), but you'll get a lot of Apple fans who are a little too into Macs, simply because they like talking down about windows. I'm just giving you a realistic answer.

Anyways, to answer your last question, I would get a upper model Powerbook. I have a 1.67Ghz Powerbook with 2GB of RAM. I run Final Cut, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, and Flash, easily. The portability aspect pretty much rules when compared to a desktop with a faster processor.

There's my attempt at a balanced piece of advice. :mac:

OP
U

UncSki1218

yeah i would go for a top of the line powerbook or an imac g5. don't get the intel. it just came out so its got a few problems. after initial benchmarks it is averaging 1.2/1.3 times faster (not 2x as apple says) than the imac g5. but running g5 apps (will be necessary because most apps arent intel yet) its half the speed. so i would get a imacg5 or a powerbook. the question is really whether or not u need the portability.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.