• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

iMovie 09 crashes during video editing

Reaction score
My iMovie 09 crashed about 3 times while editing a 50 minute video I made. It was able to finish and export the finished movie to my desktop. I also had a problem at the end trying to use iDVD. Seemed to be converting but failed in the end. Ended up exporting to Desktop and then used 3rd Party iSkySoft to convert to a DVD burn. Worked.

Do I need more memory? Currently have iMac model 9,1 with 4GB memory and 1TB hard disk. Running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard with all upgrades. Thinking of going to 8GB memory and upgrading to iMovie 11. Any suggestions or knowledge on this? Appreciate the help.

C

chas_m

Certainly both of the upgrades you mentioned are a good idea, but may not fix the actual problem. I'm wondering how much free space your boot drive has available, the crashing could be occurring because you are running out of temp space. Working with a video project of that size would need A LOT of available HD space.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I have used 343GB and have 656.68GB left. Does it sound more like the 4GB memory causing the problem? I am not running any other programs when running iMovie that I know of.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
I wouldn't think that RAM would be a problem. I'm using Snow Leopard, and although I now have 4GB of RAM, I was quite happily using iMovie to edit with only 2GB.

Have you tried using iMovie in a different Account? I have a similar problem with Toast. It continually crashes when using it in my main Account, but works fine in another one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
i movie 09 crash

I movie is great for beginners and short time editing (20-30 min.) of video. It will crash :Oops:as will i-dvd. I've been importing, editing, burning with good results with i movie 11 version 9.0.4. My Duel Core Mac Book Elite is five years old and still is holding it's own. I have increased the ram to four gb. memory, it does help a little but it still will crash when you are in i movie for long periods of time. I dvd crashes too. I found that when finished editing, i use media browser and although it takes a long time (exp.12 min h/d= 35min.) to get the end results into i dvd it does work.Burning to dvd is time consuming also. As with any computer more cores, ram, good editing software you will get great results. My new pro (any day now) will be the the next step for us "semi-pro" video geeks. Remember video eats up space and time. When you are finished with a project and have no future use for it delete it, empty the trash. As per Mac more cores, ram the better. A programmer calls the crash in my Mac "memory leaks." They're caused when you get rid of an object in your program but you continue to use it. The system reuses that space for something else, which screws things up. I'm not a programmer. So good luck. I hope this gives you some idea of Mac's video editing software.
Tryon

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
but it still will crash when you are in i movie for long periods of time.
Have to disagree there. I've never known iMovie to crash while editing, and I can be using it for 3 hours or so.

C

chas_m

Yeah, I've never had iMovie crash during video editing at all, and I can work on projects for hours as well.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 Mac Pro
Mac genius. As per mac in South Florida i/m crashed (ready for this) because i changed the projects name as in The Vacation Adventure to Our Great Vacation trip. After we stopped laughing, and Mac installed i/m 11 the same results occurred. My five year old duel core MacBook Elite with 4 gb. ram, 250 gb. h/d is to small, final analysis. My pro camcorder avccam (avchd) works well with this Mac but as stated in my previous post importing will take a long time. I move will crash after 2-3 hours when editing. i dvd will do the same. As you know when i/m i/dvd crashed is is reported, sent to Mac. They know of this crashing. Now for the good news, we will be purchasing the new Mac pro. as we are moving up with the "pros".

Rumors ah yes the rumors, already out there in Mac land. Quote "Don't buy the new Pro until they are out a while, apple has to get the bugs out" I do not believe Mac would sell a high end pro with bugs. if anyone out there can prove this please advise me. Since we will be starting a new video production co. this info. will be appreciated. Oh my aching Mac.
I'am a past, present, future, the next life Mac person (lol) WHOA! Thanks to all
TRYON

C

chas_m

All new production equipment (like all new software) usually has a few "teething issues," and you should expect this with the Mac Pro as well. Apple can test it all day and night for weeks, but the real world (and real world users) often manage to come up with things Apple never thought to test.

On the whole, Apple's hardware has been superb out of the box for a long time, but that's not to say they've never screwed up: I have a shop I used to work at that's full of eMacs and G5 towers with issues, and the company occasionally has recalls and "free repair even outside of warranty" type programs, almost always for defective third-party components (like video cards coughNVIDIAcough). Heck, Apple issued a firmware upgrade for the new iMacs *the day* after they were released (nothing too serious and easily fixed, but hey you asked).

Problems happen, but most are fixable by software (or, at worst, firmware) so I don't think it's reasonable to not buy a bit of Mac hardware because of a potentially unfixable problem. Look at iOS 7 -- some 250M people (at least) have downloaded it already and while one or two minor issues have turned up, it's been a ridiculous success (particularly considering what a big change it is).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.