Aliases

Reaction score
Hi
I'm a relatively new user to iMacs, so this question will probably be a doddle for more experienced users.
Problem is that I'm finding that .pdf files which I've stored in various folders will open initially but sometimes when I try to open them a message comes up that says "The alias 'xyz.pdf' can't be opened because the original item can't be found".
Any suggestions would be appreciated

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That error message is simply telling you that the original file from which you made the alias has either been deleted or moved. When that happens, the alias you created no longer points to the original file, hence, the error.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Are the original files on an external drive? If so re-connect the drive and try using the alias again.

OP
E
Reaction score
Edmound

Thanks Moderator
The thing that I don't understand is that I'm not intending to create an alias.
If I want to file something as a .pdf for future reference, say from the net or sent as an attachment to an email, is there a step that I'm missing that will enable the .pdf to be a stand alone file?
I must admit that I did recently delete everything from Downloads, thinking that either I'd viewed them and no longer needed them or that I'd filed them in another folder. So that could be the problem - except that there are .pdfs in folders that do still open normally.
There is a basic lack of understanding here on my part, for which I apologise.
Regards

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I must admit that I did recently delete everything from Downloads, thinking that either I'd viewed them and no longer needed them or that I'd filed them in another folder. So that could be the problem - except that there are .pdfs in folders that do still open normally.
There is a basic lack of understanding here on my part, for which I apologise.
Regards

I suspect that is what broke the connection between the original (parent) file and its alias. The original was probably in the Download folder when you cleaned things out. Don't feel bad we have all done it at one time or another.

Heres a list of several ways to create pdf files. Take a look at the method that involves using the command option drag method. Could you possibly have done that by mistake?

Those methods will cover making pdfs from most files. If a file is already a pdf. and you right click the link you can choose download linked file from the menu. The file will be stored in your Downloads folder.

I suspect you were trying to move the original files and made aliases instead. Perhaps this will help.

OP
E
Reaction score
Thanks for your assistance guys.
I'll need to find time next week end to figure this out.
Regards
Edmound

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.