Help with links and browser preference

Reaction score
All of a sudden any email attachment or clickable link on a Safari page opens in Firefox, which I also have installed on my Mac. This just started happening this week and I have had my Mac for several months. Can someone advise me as to how to change it back? Also, any idea how it changed and what I need to watch for so it won't happen again?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Open Safari Preferences, click on the General Tab, and make sure that Safari is your default browser. It sounds like Firefox assigned itself to be the default.

C

chas_m

Actually FF has no capacity to "assign itself" as the default browser. It asks if you want it to be the default browser on first launch, and the user hit return (meaning "yes").

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Chrome does the same thing. For a new user, it can be confusing because it goes unnoticed. I believe Opera is the only browser that does not display that behavior. If I remember correctly, you have to specifically set it up as the default from preferences.

OP
J
Reaction score
I have seen that question several times, about making FF my default, and I have always said no. Safari was always the browser that I use and clicking on links that came in email or on webpages that I was reading always used to open a new tab in Safari. Recently, the problem that I had was not that FF became my default but that subsequent windows opened by clicking on links, opened in FF.

So, you are saying that some where or time, I did allow this to happen? If so, I really am not paying nearly enough attention to what I'm doing, lol!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.