did something bad to safari

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am pretty new to macs period ,I bought my kids a clamshell off ebay about 7 years ago ,and I myself never really messed with it .it was to keep them off my pc desktop lol . well the kids are older and dont really use the clamshell anymore And I ran acrossed it a few weeks ago so Idecided to mess with it and really started to like it so I bought an older ibook for myself- its a 1.42 ghz power pc g4 with a gig of ram running 10.5.8
I really like it -I know most people moved to intel macs but I paid about $100.00 for it so , really,Im ok in it . and honestly All I really do is list stuff on ebay, read my emails and read a news article or two on it So I havent felt any flash withdraws from it because evidently what I use it for doesnt use flash .
Anyhow , as for my question-I did somethingt o the text in safari that made all the text huge. I was on the phone and my friend told me she thought her kid broke her arm and I didnt really see what I touched but did see rightr before a window closed an open window saying something to the affect of "dont( something like allow maybe ?) text of this size"
Ive tried the "view "option ,.to no avail
Im not sure what else to do , and as it is im using firefox and I hate it -I keeps having non respnsive spript errors that I never had with safari - any ideas what I may have done to it ? lol
Thanks for looking -
Christy

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I'm not familiar with older versions of Safari, however, try this: To make the text larger press the command and the plus keys at the same time. To make it smaller or normal size, press the command and minus keys at the same time. I'm not sure if that's what you did though. Newer versions of Safari may be different. For example, the text will return to normal size by restarting Safari unless you create a "defaultzoom.css" file.

OP
S
Reaction score
Got it , Safari>preferences > universal access > I checked the box that said "never use text smaller than "
88 was the font size chosen lol
thanks for the reply:)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Thanks for posting back. That has to be an old version of Safari since "Universal Access" is no longer listed in Safari preferences but rather, System Preferences. In order to make Safari have large text you have to use what I posted above: "defaultzoom.css" and specify the text size there. Anyway, glad you figured it out. :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
The feature to never use fonts below a specific size is still in the current version of Safari but it is under the Advanced tab in Safari Preferences,

One thing I have noticed though is some sites seem to ignore this setting. Would going the CSS route fix that issue? Never tried css. Somehow I doubt it would help those sites though.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
One thing I have noticed though is some sites seem to ignore this setting. Would going the CSS route fix that issue? Never tried css. Somehow I doubt it would help those sites though.

Yes, that's true. Many sites do ignore the minimum font setting, however, the "defaultzoom.css" file overrides that. Here's mine:

body {
zoom: 145%;
}

The above will result in Safari displaying 145% which for these old eyes is just about right. Note though, Chrome and Opera both have settings which are not effected by the sites you visit. For some reason Safari is the only one which refuses to cooperate. Even IE does better. :p

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
As chscag correctly pointed out, each browser has custom loadable "user css" which serves to modify the page once it has been completely loaded. In effect, the browser loads the page (and all of its css) and then says, "great, now listen to what I want you to do" and forces the page to change.

It's great for setting universal properties (ones applied to every site) but can get tricky if you try to do it for specific websites only (oh the issues I've had with that...).

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Thanks guys. I'll definitely give that a shot. Might work better than the minimum font setting I am using.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
CSS is nice in that you can not only be site specific but you can also use percentages instead of size values which lets you control the size of all elements on a page (pictures, media, etc.).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.