New Mac: Deleting oxs partion off old hardrive but keeping Windows Bootcamp

Reaction score
So I just purchased a new imac and I have a external SSD with my old OSX and bootcamp partition on it running off thunderbolt.

Could I deleted the old OSX partition off the SSD through windows management and still run the bootcamp? Would it interfere with the bootcamp partition?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
That's a pretty good question.

I know you can install bootcamp on the internal drive then copy it to an external. That works because the boot sector etc is in place.

Can you boot into bootcamp as it is now, on the external? If you can I think you'll be OK. I've deleted and reinstalled OSX on an internal drive and bootcamp has continued to function.

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes I am running windows off the external right now. I'm just scared that if I delete the old Osx, my boot camp partition will be corrupted.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
You can get Winclone to back it up before you try . . .

OP
H
Reaction score
ok so i found the solution, you can delete the old OSX and still run the bootcamp folder. The only thing that you cant do is combine the storage space from the oxs partition with the bootcamp partition. I tried multiple programs and windows disk management but they dont let me combine the 2 partition. Only way to do this is to format the whole harddrive and start fresh.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You didn't mention that bit...... CampTune will resize a bootcamp partition

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.