Switch from FrontPage to a Mac program

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro5.1, 12.4 G Int Core2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, SnowLeopard, Windows7, Parallels7
I have used FrontPage for many years.

Currently I run FrontPage under Windows 7 under Parallels.

Can anyone recommend a WYSIWYG editor that will convert my FP-developed sites into HTML5 and runs under iOS 10.6.8?

All with no coding.

Thank you.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBookPro5.1, 12.4 G Int Core2 Duo, 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, SnowLeopard, Windows7, Parallels7
Thank you, HarryB.

I will search some more.

Searches turned up older info on things such as iWeb and Dreamweaver.

I tried DW and found it too complex for my needs.

FrontPage does all I need, but it would be great to be totally done with Windows.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What's wrong with using iWeb? Which version of OS X are you using?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
What's wrong with using iWeb? Which version of OS X are you using?

Thanks.

My understanding is that Apple has dropped iWeb.

It is being replaced by the EasyWeb product that was written by two Apple engineers.

My problem with this product is that I have hundreds of pages on many sites that use FrontPage's form processing to report survey results via email to our staff.

It is this form function and reporting that stops me each time I search for a FP replacement.

Otherwise, I believe that I could run my 72 sites into another product that runs under native Apple and be rid of Microsoft & FP.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
This is not a field that I follow much but I wonder if RapidWeaver in conjunction with a plugin would do the job for you. Here one that I found though I am sure there are others. FormLoom

I have not seen much of an answer for how much of Front Row's code RapidWeaver can import without recoding.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
This is not a field that I follow much but I wonder if RapidWeaver in conjunction with a plugin would do the job for you. Here one that I found though I am sure there are others. FormLoom

I have not seen much of an answer for how much of Front Row's code RapidWeaver can import without recoding.

~~~~~

Thank you, Sly.

I will check out using a plug in with RapidWeaver. It seems to have possibilities.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Hope that works out for you. As I say I have not used RapidWeaver but it seems to be well liked.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The plug is what I could use to translate the forms.

However, RapidWeaver does not read and convert sites written by other programs.

Since RapidWeaver will not translate my sites, I need another program that will perform that conversion.

Thanks for the idea.

C

chas_m

Let me save you a lot of time and effort.

FrontPage is a MS proprietary thing. There is NOTHING on this planet that is going to convert your FP sites into some other program so you can continue using them.

You will have to rebuild sites, and this is actually a VERY GOOD THING as the code FP generates is, on top of being inefficient, inaccurate for web-standard browsers and generally horrible, hopelessly out-of-date.

You are far better of re-creating the sites in a more modern program, as this will produce better-quality code and make your site look way better. You don't necessarily have to learn much HTML coding, but you will have to learn a new program. Take a look at Sandvox, at Rapidweaver, at Freeway. I know nothing about this EasyWeb thing you mentioned -- Apple's definitely not endorsing it as a replacement, but then again they're not suggesting anything as a replacement -- but look around, find the best tool that will work with you, and recreate your sites. Or stick with FP until it dies, which I suspect it will in due course.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
^ Thank you , Chas_M.

Your words make perfect sense and present very realistic apparent fact.

I will follow your suggestion as to how to transition to native Mac.

Thank you. You have done as you said: Saved me time & trouble.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I have used FrontPage for many years.

Currently I run FrontPage under Windows 7 under Parallels.

Can anyone recommend a WYSIWYG editor that will convert my FP-developed sites into HTML5 and runs under iOS 10.6.8?

All with no coding.

Thank you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

This old thread of mine may yield some good results for a few more people as well as me.

So please allow me to ask the quoted-above question again.

I would really like to be able to find a program that reads in my FP pages' code and outputs a converted web site ready for use of this new program.

Does anyone have an idea of what program that might be?

Thank you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hello,

This old thread of mine may yield some good results for a few more people as well as me.

So please allow me to ask the quoted-above question again.

I would really like to be able to find a program that reads in my FP pages' code and outputs a converted web site ready for use of this new program.

Does anyone have an idea of what program that might be?

Thank you.

I haven't heard of such a program but, even if there is one, it might be better to re-design it. The last version of it was released in 2003 by the company that made the browser that itself made up 90%+ of the market. Honestly, and this probably the answer you wanted, you're better off starting from scratch.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I haven't heard of such a program but, even if there is one, it might be better to re-design it. The last version of it was released in 2003 by the company that made the browser that itself made up 90%+ of the market. Honestly, and this probably the answer you wanted, you're better off starting from scratch.

Thank you for your wise perspective. I agree with your suggestion to re-do.

I am considering the Mozilla KompoZer program. Do you have any thoughts about that?

I would appreciate your opinion.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I'm not much help here as I do all web coding by hand. How much knowledge do you have of web development? What are you looking to make?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I'm not much help here as I do all web coding by hand. How much knowledge do you have of web development? What are you looking to make?

My sites include all the sites linked on www.internetroad.com.

I am a long-time assembler language programer & system designer.

These days I am a system designer and must use a WYSIWYG site development program, doing no coding.

I used Dreamweaver and dropped it since it potentially does too much for my needs.

Yesterday I started experimenting with KompoZer by Mozilla. This appears to have all the powers that I will need.

Can you please name a program that is appropriate for me?

Thank you.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I don't know of any WYSIWYG editors but if Kompozer does the trick for you, give that a try. The use of a tool is ultimately a personal choice so go with what feels comfortable.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The choices are narrowing.

The following two programs appear to be useful without the vast complexity of Dreamweaver with its teeny-tiny type display.

The two programs remaining under consideration are:

Sandvox & Freeway Express with its upgrade.

Any thoughts on these or other programs will be appreciated greatly.

Reaction score
The following two programs appear to be useful without the vast complexity of Dreamweaver with its teeny-tiny type display.

The two programs remaining under consideration are:

Sandvox & Freeway Express with its upgrade.

How about Adobe Dreamwaver?

Edit: I get started to use DW to build static sites of my own On Windows. When switched to MBP, it's still my choice, though it's not that perfect.

Last edited:
OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Thank you. I appreciate your suggestion.

I switched to Mac 7 years ago.

When I bought my first MacBook Pro, at the same time, I bought Dreamweaver.

I learned that Dreamweaver:

-- Has a user interface that is overly complex and a display that is too tiny;

-- Has a user interface that contains sub-windows that would serve better as menu items. Its user interface unnecessarily complicates a web-building project;

-- Requires too many components to build the same pages that I had been building using FrontPage.

After learning that, I tossed my $400 experiment in the garbage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.