macbook pro almost full

Reaction score
My macbook pro is almost full. Where can I navigate to, to see where most of my storage is used. and, how best to store data and empty out my computer?
Thanks,

fenton

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...and, how best to store data and empty out my computer?

Get an external hard drive...and unload all the files, music, videos, photos you really don't need on a daily basis.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
And keep a minimum of 15-20% hard drive space free for the drive to work anywhere near its peak performance. Otherwise hangups, beach balls etc.

Reaction score
I recently had a 500 GB HDD in my MBP that was almost full. Don't have any music on it but a lot of video in iMovie. Moved all of that to an external HDD...but the internal was still full (doesn't help that in the About this Mac under Storage the color coding for Movies and Backups is nearly identical to my eyes).

Found out that Time Machine was taking hourly snapshots and it was eating up all my space. Here is the page from Apple about it: OS X Lion: About Time Machine's "local snapshots" on portable Macs

Found out how to delete that freed up enough space to put all the video back on the internal and still have more than the 20% free space.

If you are running Time Machine regularly then check that out maybe.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Time Machine will gradually remove those local snapshots when the computer gets reconnected to the external drive that was designated for Time Maine. If I recall correctly it we'll also "eat" those backups if more space is really needed.Not sure if it does that just to create the swap files though. I think it is just when space is ended to save files.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If I recall correctly it we'll also "eat" those backups if more space is really needed.

Yummy! Put some wasabi on mine!;)

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LMAO. I'll settle for a little Salsa.

Reaction score
It may munch on the backups but those local snapshots were taking up about 80 GB and my machine was getting sluggish. I guess my Time Machine wasn't too hungry then.

I used to leave the external HDD plugged in and let TM do its thing, but now I plug it in, do a backup, and unplug the HDD. The snapshots are now only 20GB.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.