PDA

View Full Version : Apple's new attitude towards their customers

Trasgado
02-02-2006, 12:48 PM
The apple stores seem to be more relunctant to help any of their customers anymore. I've been a mac enthusiast for years and had a problem with my Mac mini just before a year of owning it. I used to own an iMac Blueberry but it got so old that I needed a new mac. Anyways, just starting the new year and suddenly the Optical drive starts to panic, refusing to read any CDs or Dvds at all and slowed the computer down drastically. I quickly back-uped every thing I had so I could try repairing it using an external DVD-Drive and the Mac OS 10 disk with the diagnostics program inside. It refused and suddenly started up with this grey screen telling me i needed to force restart. So I did and it'd never start-up again without that same screen popping up before it'd even boot up! I brought it to the Mac store to have it repaired since it was still under warrenty and they took it for a while so they could fix it. They told me they believe it might be the optical drive or the hard-drive and they were going to fix it. So they had it and I waited Five days to get a call for when I was supposed to get it back. They call me up saying "Well, we see some dust on the logic board and well its not really covered under the warrenty so if you want it fixed your going to need to pay 400 dollars which roughly is the same price of a new mac". I was shocked, they suddenly tell me that dust.. DUST on the logic board is going to make me having to pay 400 dollars to get it repaired?!

So now for all of those who have problems with their macs.. don't even bother bringing it back to be repaired because their going to try to find a reason force you to pay for everything.

ByzantineRemnant
02-02-2006, 12:56 PM
That is unfortnate, I would ask to speak with a manager or call apple themselves. Electronic devices attract dust, that is a fact. Dont give up or get too discouraged yet!

trpnmonkey41
02-02-2006, 01:36 PM
I have never had a problem with apples service. I have had to send a powerbook and iMac G5 in for repairs and both times it was back within 2-3 days (when they said like 7 business days) with all the problems fixed

kmarty009
02-02-2006, 01:41 PM
That is just ludicirous... I would call Apple and or speak to a manager. If dust is not covered under the warranty then that would be news in it self. Do not give up on this man. Keep going up the chain of command. Or better yet file a small claims report to the court and sue Apple for the computer, lost of time, mental anguish, etc. A lawyer would settle that out of court in no time. Believe I have done it.

"Apple builds first dust free computer"

immdb
02-02-2006, 04:00 PM
…"Well, we see some dust on the logic board and well its not really covered under the warrenty …

The guy is right, dust isn't covered…but dust isn't the problem. If dust is a problem I wouldn't be able to use any of my Macs.

Take it up the line (Stevie isn't doing anything right now, give him a call)

inflexion
02-02-2006, 04:10 PM
to put it bliuntly thats bull call them back up or better go into the store and speak to the manager

D3v1L80Y
02-02-2006, 04:13 PM
I would not label this as "Apple's" attitude, but rather the attitude of one or two employees of an Apple store.

sevenhelmet
02-02-2006, 05:55 PM
Wow, I'm going out to buy some compressed air for my powermac...

coach_z
02-02-2006, 06:45 PM
I would not label this as "Apple's" attitude, but rather the attitude of one or two employees of an Apple store.

i agrree, you shouldnt go pinning this as an apple wide issue. it is probably just one or two dumb people who are making lame excuses probably to get a raise from higher sales #'s or less money spent repairing computers. bring it in again, dust is not the problem here
-chris

surfwax95
02-02-2006, 06:52 PM
Apple's outlook on customers in general has degraded in the last few years. (From what I've seen and experienced, I can't speak for everyone)

I've purchased 2 products from Apple in 8 months. A mighty mouse and a 15" Powerbook. Neither totally meet my expectations, especially given the price.

My Mighty Mouse's track ball stopped working exactly 4 months after I bought it. Apple refused to replace it and recommended I try cleaning it out. This didn't work.

My 15" Powerbook has "the lines", makes *tinking* noises through the keyboard, sometimes refuses to boot from CD, and the spacebar feels very cheap. Blind Apple loyalists would say that these are minor problems that should be overlooked, but I severely disagree.

...and in response to the general attitude that it's "just a few subpar employees". I ask: "What is a company made of?" and I'll answer: "It's employees."
How can someone blame this on "Apple", what is Apple if not for a large group of employees, that may or may not be acting like jerks to customers?

mynameis
02-02-2006, 07:10 PM
The Apple store by me always have plenty of people willing to help, but out of the ones I have actually talked to few to actually knew what they are talking about which doesn't surprise me considering the nature of the job.

to_tough_to_die
02-02-2006, 08:32 PM
That's unfortunate.

Personally, I've become rather dissapointed in Apple.

I realize that Macs are where a lot of their money is made, but I also realize that there's no way the 5 shares of Apple stock I own would be trading for $75 a share without the iPod (I read their Quarterly Report...).

But the thing is, it's almost as if they just don't care. All they advertise is the iPod.
You want to know something about the new iMac commercial? It's the first commercial I've seen for an Apple product other than the iPod since the Switch commercials.

I've read many a story of what's coming down the PowerPC pipe-line, and it saddens me Apple's biggest move since OS X was created involves using processors that only create unnecesary confusion and a lack of performance increases (and not just from Moses...).

It just makes me sad to see how little attention Apple pays to their computers.

I may be young, but I know my history. What happend to that stronghold on the Education market again? My school district made it so difficult to get Macs, that the broadcasting department at a school who I'll choose not to name actually had a full blown fundraiser just to get an iMac G5.

What happend to the Apple that created the original Mac? That bought us the GUI in a form that was actually useable?

What happend to the Steve Jobs who felt that a computer wasn't just a tool, or even a creative tool, but as an extension of the person using it?

What happend to the Apple that just a few years ago was more concentrated on creating software like iMovie? The software that makes it fun to edit. In fact, using iMovie doesn't even feel like editing to me. I'd rather use a word like "creating", because that's what it's like.

Whatever happend to the Apple that wanted to bring consumers the best technology at the lowest price they could do it at?

What happend to the Apple that didn't care about the device that plays my music, but about the one that basically runs my life?

Maybe I'm just off on a tangent. Maybe I'm just pissed off right now. But that's just my two cents...

sevenhelmet
02-03-2006, 09:32 AM
1.) Apple is moving to the Intel chip BECAUSE of a lack of performance increases in the PPC chip. Jobs felt they weren't getting what they needed from that architecture. I, too, consider myself a fan of the G4/G5 lineup. But who knows? Maybe Jobs is right.

2.) Apple pays plenty of attention to their computers. Mine is designed extremely well and has zero defects- all the hardware is first-rate!

3.) School districts vary. One that my friend works in has all macs. Grant you, none of them are NEW, but they sure didn't go out and get a bunch of Dells. Network admin prefers macs, they are "less problematic."

4.) Hate to break it to you, but the GUI is still very, very useable. WAY better than windows, and honestly, I like Tiger better than any previous OS.

5.) Apple is still very much in the computer business. Think about the Intel switch. It is allowing more powerful processors into the portables (the G5 has a horrible heat-profile, so it was never going to be in a laptop in its current form.) Sure, it's an architecture change, but old hands remember that APPLE HAS DONE THIS BEFORE. They know how to handle architecture changes. Intel will bring you the performance you want, AT A LOWER PRICE than it would have taken for IBM to deliver the same punch.

6.) The iPod is money. Pure and simple. If I had a product that sold 42 million copies, I'd put a lot of resources into it as well. But nothing I have seen or heard indicates that Apple is letting that take away from their computer/software design.

Discerptor
02-06-2006, 11:50 AM
It seems to me a lot of you are making the mistake of thinking the employees at Apple retail stores actually know what they're talking about. They're primarily salespeople. Take up your support issues with the phone service and believe me, the attention and quality of service you get is top notch.

EDIT-XTREEM
02-06-2006, 11:58 AM
i talked to a friend who is a certified resaler and he said that apple some time has terrible service because they know that apple is the only company that makes macs.

RGertner
02-13-2006, 01:13 PM
In my year of owning a Apple Products I have been nothing but happy with their service.

Back in May of '05 my Brand new 17" iMac had lot's of issues right out of the box, but after almost 2 weeks of ownering this, the system finally took a nose dive. I worked with Apple Care for an hour doing some problem determiniation on the system, with the end result being that a hardware issue is suspected. I took it to my local Apple Store, they gave me a brand new one and then let me upgrade it to a 20" (me paying the difference) since they had them in stock.

I have owned 3 iPods. A 40GB iPod Photo, a 4GB and 6GB iPod Mini. Each one had an issue here and there and Apple mail in service took care of each one without any headaches. Also, about a month ago, my 6GB Mini came up with the Unhappy iPod Icon on it, it was obvious that the Hard Drive was bad just from listening to it. Now it was also very obvious that my Mini was dropped at some point as the lower right hand corner was flat. They replaced my 10 month old DAMAGED iPod, no questions asked, when they could have very easily said it was due to abuse, and they probably wouldn't have been wrong.

Last, my Brothers 9 month old 20" G5 iMac died. It wouldn't boot into Mac OS anymore, just into a Terminal Session. The Apple Store worked on that system for 3 hours and finally was able to resolve it without rebuilding the system and losing all the data / configuration items.

Basically, I think that b/c Apple's support is customer facing by sitting in the Apple Store and not hiding behind a phone and/or Web Page, their support is great. The only other company that I get this kind of support from is IBM for their Thinkpads, Workstations and Servers.

Thanks

maclane
02-13-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm sorry you had to go through that experience. It just is hard to relate this one experience you had - with this one person you talked to - to reflect Apple's new attitude.

sbatson
02-13-2006, 04:31 PM
It seems to me a lot of you are making the mistake of thinking the employees at Apple retail stores actually know what they're talking about. They're primarily salespeople. Take up your support issues with the phone service and believe me, the attention and quality of service you get is top notch.

I have to totally AGREE with this comment! I haven't had my Mac long enough to have had to deal with their support. However as a general rule, I make it a point to never expect much help, if any, from any employee in a retail store. And unfortunately, the same is often true when you talk to most front line tech support people no matter what company you are dealing with.

When I have a problem I think needs to be fixed and I feel like I'm getting Jacked Around, I instantly ask for a manager. I'm sorry, but I don't have the time or desire to deal with someone who doesn't know what they are talking about, but wants to pretend that they do. Or worse, someone that is too lazy to do their job and just trying to find ways to say no.

I recieved very good support when I called to ask about my order, a far cry from a technical problem I know, but that's a good sign to me. Let's face it though, most employees at retail locations for any business are on the time clock and/or commission. They are either worried about selling something or when their shift is over. No matter how they act, returns and repairs are more of an annoyance to these people than anything. In most cases, they will do the easist and quickest thing possible to get rid of you. I think companies could prevent some of this through proper training, but who knows...you might get someone in their first week and they don't know what to do.

Again, Don't wait, don't get strung along, ask for the manager right away if something doesn't seem right.

macdsyple
02-18-2006, 02:52 PM
When I first bougfht my Powerbook I was thrilled with Apple and their service. The genius bar was great. And when I had a problem, they sent my powerbook in and I got it back within a few days. I've bought Ipods for mu daughter wife and father as well as two models for myself. I've spent over a thousand dollars in that store on other peripherals and sofware. Great service, great people.

Then recently, my powerbook stopped working and my wife went to drop it off to be sent in. The guy told my wife that they had recently switched their policy and that she had to make an appointment to bring it in. He also told her that they didn't start appointments until 3 pm. She asked if she could just leave it for someone to look at when they came in at 3. He said no, that she had to come in that afternoon to fill out the paperwork. She asked if she could take the paperwork with her so she could save time and fillit out. He siad no it was electronic paperwork. She said he wasn't doing anything else, there were not customers waiting or anything like that. So it's not like he was too busy. It is a 20-25 minute drive to the store so it was a lot of time wasted.

This was the Aspen Grove store in Denver Colorado. I got on the phone and asked him if I could talk to the manager. He said he was the manager. I'm worried that with that kind of management, the employees will likely pick up that kind of non-customer service attitude.

to_tough_to_die
02-18-2006, 03:55 PM

Actually, I can honestly say that employees (not counting the "Geniuses", namely because they have to be trained to know everything) know what they need to know. If you have a basic question, they'll help you out (for instance, I had no clue how to use Safari, so I asked a guy standing next to the PowerBooks, and he covered the jest of it. Now granted, they may not be able to shell open my PowerBook on the spot and rpelace the disc drive, they know what they need to).

DigitalN.
02-19-2006, 03:28 AM
I'd like to ring in on my iBook. Never have I seen such a product that is slim, fast, good tech support, great OS, and 6.5 horus of battery for 1800. I don't have to format like I would if I had a dell either.

jram
02-19-2006, 12:32 PM
I've used them twice, both times they went out of their way to be nice.. I had them install Tiger, I tried Tiger out for a couple of days on my 1.5 PB, my fans kept coming on, after two days I brought the PB back to the Apple store without a appointment. I told them my problem and wanted Panther installed, they installed Panther while I was fooling around with the iMac and Power Mac, no charge.. Then about 4 weeks latter they called my house and told me they had an updated version of Tiger with updates, did I want to have that installed, I declined but I have nothing but praise for Apple.Oh yeah, they did get me when I had another gig of memory installed 500 big ones. :p

BlindingLights
02-20-2006, 10:40 PM
That is so un-apple like.

When I had a problem with my iPod video, I got a BRAND NEW ONE within seven days.

When I bought my iMac, they gave me no problem, and they were EXTREMELY helpful. (then again, I was buying a 1300 dollar computer...:-/

apple_power
02-21-2006, 02:55 AM
Apple so far support wise have always bent over backwards to help me. They have always made gestures of good will, when they have got it wrong. So I am a happy camper here reagarding apples attitude. But I buy from one individual always, so he looks after me.

Shop staff are not apple, I made a comment about teh one s in Regent street being clueless including soem of teh genius bar. But if you get a good genius who truly is an apple geek. All is sweet, the peoipel in teh shop are sales people end of the day.

apple_power
02-21-2006, 02:59 AM
Apple so far support wise have always bent over backwards to help me. They have always made gestures of good will, when they have got it wrong. So I am a happy camper here reagarding apples attitude. But I buy from one individual always, so he looks after me.

Shop staff are not apple, I made a comment about the ones in Regent street being clueless including soem of teh genius bar. But if you get a good genius who truly is an apple geek. All is sweet, the peoipel in teh shop are sales people end of the day.