Hello I'm new and need help desperately :(

I have an iMac, 2006 I think.

iMac5,1
2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
Intel Core 2 Duo
2 GHz
Mac OS X Version 10.6.8

I'm a freelance graphic designer recovered from an accident so even thought I learned Mac in the early 90's I'm waaay behind now on how to trouble-shoot and fix my own probs like back in the day.

So, here's the deal. I wanna know how far can I upgrade this thing? I have 2 gigs of ram and it isn't enough how much can I put in the 2 slots? and whats the best kind?

I crash several times a day while in Illustrator mostly. I get things like my curser sticks to something and won't let got - crash. that happens when I'm in firefox too.
I have a digital line through my sceen. it comes and goes. If I change the resolution down and then back up it goes away.
If I can save a crash/panic report is there things in it that will help me?
Are there things I can do?

Thank you so much in advance to anyone who can point me in the right direction. ;)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That's an old machine, really not too much you can do to improve it. Here's the memory specs:

Maximum Memory 3.0 GB (4.0 GB can be installed, only 3.0 GB will be addressed)
Memory Slots 2 - 200-pin PC2-5300 (667MHz) DDR2 SO-DIMM

You can install a larger and faster hard drive but that's not an easy task. Also, if the machine is displaying problems with its graphics, that could be an expensive repair. It could either be the display or the built in graphics chipset. Either one would make it too expensive to repair for what the machine is worth.

I suggest buying a newer Mac instead.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I crash several times a day while in Illustrator mostly. I get things like my curser sticks to something and won't let got - crash. that happens when I'm in firefox too.

From what I'm reading...the problems you have won't be solved by upgrading the computer. You either have a:

- software conflict issue
- hardware failure or an eminent hardware failure issue
- iMac is getting close to overheating...and it needs to be cleaned

Since this is a pretty old computer...taking to a professional is pretty much out of the question. Since what you would be charged to have the computer diagnosed and/or repaired would certainly exceed the value of the computer.

I would start by opening up the computer (yourself)...and giving it a good cleaning (dirt/fuzz) on the inside...to improve cooling. Go to:

- iFixit: The free repair manual

...to get disassembly instructions. If you cannot do this...then I'm thinking that you either have to keep using the computer as it is...or get a new/newer computer. Upgrading the ram I don't think will solve the issue.

HTH,

- Nick

C

chas_m

All I would add to what's been said above is that you might consider a *newer* rather than *new* Mac if your budget allows. Ideally, a new iMac or new (or refurbished) Mac mini would be great, but I would say anything from 2009 or later will hold you over for another few years, will be more upgradeable in most models and generally suit your needs better.

I think the machine you have is trying to tell you that it's on its last legs.

OP
S
Reaction score
thank you so much

Thanks for the advise guys!
I know I have to and want to replace this computer. I'm just trying to make it work good enough to finish illustrations for a book I'm working on. If it goes good I will have the funds to replace. (my dream)
I will try what you've suggested in the meantime.

Again! Thank you thank you.
Shelleyfur

OP
S
Reaction score
Ok I have another question guys.

Last year my son installed Diablo 3 on my iMac. So it would work, I did a run-around so the graphics card would work with it. Since then, Diablo has been uninstalled. Any advice on how to go reset what I did for diablo? Is that maybe an issue do you think? Before that I don't think I had any of these problems. In fact I remember thinking for such an old machine it was doing pretty good at that time.

Just thinkin'

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.