• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Remember the iMac G5?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
I cant believe no one has noticed or posted on this yet. The 20" iMac G5 is now only $1499, what a deal. With the student discount, it is only $1399! Freaking amazing, I dont know if I can pass this deal up...although it does make sense since some of the components are a little older than that of the intel iMac. Regardless, Im seriously considering...

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...9RTwM2SCr7235/0.SLID?mco=CAE52EDB&nclm=iMacG5

B

Berman

wow that's a nice price. i'm going to have to show my sister that. i got her to buy a 15" powerbook, and she hasn't touched her desktop pc since :D

she said it best last time i saw her -- "it's never done one single thing wrong and every single thing i've tried to do with it works perfectly." i thought that for a sec and realized it's true for my mac's as well. i have a 20" imac g5, and a little 12" ibook. both rock, and that little ibook is such a nice travel companion.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have that system (imac G5 2.1Ghz with Isight) and love it. Very fast, stable.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
Ok folks, hear me out,
Right now I am currently debating whether to buy the iMac G5, with this amazing deal, or wait until summer and get an intel iMac. I want to primarily use the machine for video editing and sound engineering, as well as photo editing. The problem arises when I look at the available 256mb Video Card and IMO, better Ram options on the intel. Yet I do not want to suffer the performance lag using Rosetta. Final Cut and ProTools are not yet native. Its quite a problem to think about. The iMac G5 would be roughly $400 cheaper with the options I'd equip them with. 1.5gigs of Ram on the G5, 2gigs on the intel, and the 128 MB X600 XT vs the 256 MB X1600...Otherwise the Superdrive, display and HD seem to be the same. Care to help me out with some logical opinions?

Reaction score
amazon has the same deal but with a 150.00 dollar rebate, bringing
your total price to 1349.00 out the door no tax!!!

i couldnt resist and ordered mine yesterday.

Reaction score
Greenredfield said:
Ok folks, hear me out,
Right now I am currently debating whether to buy the iMac G5, with this amazing deal, or wait until summer and get an intel iMac. I want to primarily use the machine for video editing and sound engineering, as well as photo editing. The problem arises when I look at the available 256mb Video Card and IMO, better Ram options on the intel. Yet I do not want to suffer the performance lag using Rosetta. Final Cut and ProTools are not yet native. Its quite a problem to think about. The iMac G5 would be roughly $400 cheaper with the options I'd equip them with. 1.5gigs of Ram on the G5, 2gigs on the intel, and the 128 MB X600 XT vs the 256 MB X1600...Otherwise the Superdrive, display and HD seem to be the same. Care to help me out with some logical opinions?
ok,
i'm not a pro final cut user, but i have a 20" 2.1 iSight with 1.5gb and its great.

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
So what would one do? Buy the G5 or wait for an intel?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5 20", 250gb, 512mb, Airport/Bluetooth, wireless kb+mouse
Buy the G5. I've got the Rev. B and love it.

I am considering suggesting my parents buy this with my sister's education discount for the new family computer. The HP is making me look bad...

Reaction score
id buy a g5 because not all programs are native yet as well as it is only rev A

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powermac Dual G4 1.25 Ghz
Did I miss the announcement from Apple that they were no longer selling the 17" PowerPC iMac, or did Apple just stop selling it without an announcement?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
get the intel in the summer.. final cut will be universal in march.

B

Berman

WasabiTaylor said:
Buy the G5. I've got the Rev. B and love it.

I am considering suggesting my parents buy this with my sister's education discount for the new family computer. The HP is making me look bad...

the imac makes a great home computer. i have a nice gateway right next to my 20" imac, and i think i've touched the gateway twice since I bought the mac. in august. :D

D

delboywww

G5 imac ?

Hi All,

First posting on here so be gentle with me !!!

I am looking to replace my ageing PC and need some re-assurance !

Some years ago I caught a cold buying a Mac Performa 6400/200 Creative Studio which at the time was supposed to be the bees knees and at £3,300 it should have been, however the PC world suddenly got cheaper and my Mac was left for dust. Although it was easy to use, I remember being annoyed that a lot of software was not compatible and it did not like me using it for music purposes. I have been told that Mac's have come a long way since then ?

Looking around I am having trouble deciding which way to go but naturally I am being drawn towards the 20" G5 imac as it seems so much more advanced than PC's.

Questions ?
Will it run my windows word documents etc.
Does it have a TV tuner.
Will I be better going for the G5 rather than wait for the Intel.
Do I need to get any upgrades if buying the G5.
Which ISP to use as I think that some do not support Apple operating systems.
Any downsides to getting one.

My main use is for Internet, Music, Photo's, and occasional word processing

Any advice would be most appreciated as I think I have made my mind up but need that final shove in the back !

THANKS
Del
Surrey
England

B

Berman

delboywww said:
Hi All,

First posting on here so be gentle with me !!!

I am looking to replace my ageing PC and need some re-assurance !

Some years ago I caught a cold buying a Mac Performa 6400/200 Creative Studio which at the time was supposed to be the bees knees and at £3,300 it should have been, however the PC world suddenly got cheaper and my Mac was left for dust. Although it was easy to use, I remember being annoyed that a lot of software was not compatible and it did not like me using it for music purposes. I have been told that Mac's have come a long way since then ?

Looking around I am having trouble deciding which way to go but naturally I am being drawn towards the 20" G5 imac as it seems so much more advanced than PC's.

Questions ?
Will it run my windows word documents etc.
Does it have a TV tuner.
Will I be better going for the G5 rather than wait for the Intel.
Do I need to get any upgrades if buying the G5.
Which ISP to use as I think that some do not support Apple operating systems.
Any downsides to getting one.

My main use is for Internet, Music, Photo's, and occasional word processing

Any advice would be most appreciated as I think I have made my mind up but need that final shove in the back !

THANKS
Del
Surrey
England

in order:
-yes
-no
-the jury is still out on that one
-max out the memory with either. osx is a huge memory hog, i got a very noticeable performance boost going from 512megs of ram in my 20" imac to 2 gigs of ram
-any isp will work with a mac. when they say they don't support osx, it means that they will not provide you with tech support for osx in case things aren't working right.
-i can't really think of any

and yes, things have come a long long way from os 9. to be honest, mac's kind of sucked back then (blasphemy!). now, unless you want to play games, they are arguably superior to windows pc's.

even the pricing isn't bad at all anymore. with the crazy low prices you can get one of those G5 imac's at ... it's on par with pc hardware at least. a 20" lcd isn't cheap, and when you DO get one cheap with a dell or whatever, the quality is **** poor compared to the imac's screen (which is really an apple cinema display). plus it's got all the latest gizmos built in already -- bluetooth, wireless, dual layer dvd burner, isight, etc.

D

delboywww

Berman said:
in order:
-yes
-no
-the jury is still out on that one
-max out the memory with either. osx is a huge memory hog, i got a very noticeable performance boost going from 512megs of ram in my 20" imac to 2 gigs of ram
-any isp will work with a mac. when they say they don't support osx, it means that they will not provide you with tech support for osx in case things aren't working right.
-i can't really think of any

and yes, things have come a long long way from os 9. to be honest, mac's kind of sucked back then (blasphemy!). now, unless you want to play games, they are arguably superior to windows pc's.

even the pricing isn't bad at all anymore. with the crazy low prices you can get one of those G5 imac's at ... it's on par with pc hardware at least. a 20" lcd isn't cheap, and when you DO get one cheap with a dell or whatever, the quality is **** poor compared to the imac's screen (which is really an apple cinema display). plus it's got all the latest gizmos built in already -- bluetooth, wireless, dual layer dvd burner, isight, etc.

Thanks Berman,
Appreciate the info.
Del

Reaction score
ok guys I am also contemplating getting the iMac G5 or the Intel iMac G5, it would be a 20", now my questions is some programs such as Photoshop CS2 are not intel native/universal. When they come out with the next universal and intel native version how will it perform on the normal iMac. Will the same capability issues happen to the older iMac's when the new intel native programs come out. Will the new intel native programs run great on both processors or will they run better on the intel?

My second questions is that I was planning on getting the upgraded Video Card - 256mb but it cannot do this if I get the older iMac will the upgraded videocard give a big performance boost? will I notice a big difference and what will it affect? Say in like 3-5 years from now will the 128mb card be outdated and not be able to run the newer version of programs like photoshop?

OP
ByzantineRemnant
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro, MBP C2D, iMac G4
In 3-5 years they both will be outdated. I have since decided since I started this post, to wait for the first revision of the intel Macs, and go for it then. If this is not until next November, then so be it, I wont have to blow all my savings.

Reaction score
I would get the intel just because pro Apple apps will be universal in March( apparantly Apple are making great update deals) also photoshop will be good enough on the intel for all but Pro's.

The way i see it is a bit of short term pain for long term gain!!!

by next year most apps will be universal and you will be kicking yourself if you got a G5.
Also think about resale value, by the time your ready to sell you Imac everything will be universal and the intel Imac will hold it value much better then the G5 imac in this situation.

Thats just my opinion

Reaction score
Hi All

As an owner of the now dead 17 inch Imac G5 Isight and also now the newer DC Intel version. I have some words of advise.

Personally I would have no problem in getting the Intel again over the G5, however there is one improtant thing i have found. If you buy an intel with the basic 512mb of ram it is no more quicker and in some cases slower than the G5. However if you go and install 1gb or in my case 1.5gb of ram then the intel really takes off.

There is no apparent lag even when using programs that do require rossetta in my case the adobe cs2 suite. As long as you get the system ram you will feel the processer speed gains.

I did compare both with 1gb fitted and the intel flew!!!!

Reaction score
Oh and for more info go for the Kingston ram! Its around 60% less than Apple and Crucial!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.