How do i turn off or change text to speech?

Reaction score
Hi, I bought an iBook G4 last year just for surfing, it is OS X 10.5.8. I was exploring through it as I have always had a PC and wanted to see what the operating system was like. I somehow managed to find a page that allowed me to type in a two sentence greeting to me at login and now I want to change it, but I cannot figure out how to do it now. I can't even shut if off. I thought I entered it in the log in greeting on the voice over settings on the universal access preferences page but that does not work. I can change the voice sound but not the message. I have spent hours trying to figure this out, can someone help me please! Thanks. ;P

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What did you use to create the greeting message? There are numerous third party applications which can do this. We need to know what you used. It's been a long time since I ran Leopard, but I don't remember anything in System Preference which could add a greeting message.

OP
P
Reaction score
text to speech

That's the thing. I ran no other program. Just was clicking on things, I believe in system preferences and came across a page for a log in greeting and typed in a greeting and when I turned on my computer the next time, there it was. It comes on now everytime I turn on my computer.

OP
P
Reaction score
text to speech

I went to system preferences, then clicked on speech, then clicked on text to speech, and I have tried all options on there and nothing changes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, thanks for posting back. I'm currently using Mountain Lion but perhaps this will help:

Open System Preferences: Click on Security & Privacy (or whatever it's called in Leopard).

You should see a box that states: "Show a message when the screen is locked". If this box is checked and you entered a greeting there, it will show up each time you log on and your password is required.

To change that, click on the small lock at the bottom of the dialog, enter your admin password, and then remove the check from that box.

Again, I'm not sure if that will help you....

OP
P
Reaction score
text to speech

Hi, the only thing checked there was "use secure virtual memory". No go, but thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.