New Mac, Old Mac and a pair of Dead PCs

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
Hey all.

I am a recent convert to the Mac World and this is my first post here from a Mac.

Have a seat and I'll tell you my story. I'll try not to make it a long one...

I am almost 35 years old and have been a computer user/hobbyist since I was about 7 years old. For almost 28 of those years I have been a PC/DOS/Windows user with some dabbling in the mid/late 90s with a little thing called OS/2.

About a year ago, I started taking an interest in the history of the Personal Computer in general and started watching every YouTube video I could on the subject. I watch "Pirates of Silicon Valley", a lot of Computer Chronicles episodes and every Apple KeyNote I could find.

I really started to see things in a different light and started thinking that maybe a Mac was for me.

I decided that I wanted to try a Mac, and began considering a second-hand PowerMac G5. I was getting close to getting one when I decided to attempt a CPU upgrade on my Acer Laptop. Bad idea. Something went wrong and it died on the operating table.

I told my story of laptop woes and Mac Interest to a friend (iMac user) who promptly offered a pair of PowerBook G4s that could be cobbled together to make a working one. The deal was made and I took them home. They are A1095 model, 15", 1.33GHz running OS X 10.5.8. I loved it. I started spending a lot of computing time on it instead of my Desktop that was set up with twin 32" monitors...

The seed was sown. I was hooked. I had been saving to repair my aging PC and new I had some extra money coming, so I decided instead to buy a Mac Mini. I picked it up on Monday, May 20, 2013.

Ironically, my PC blue-screened and crashed, losing all but one SATA port 10 minutes before I was leaving to go buy my Mac. This has really been an instant submerge into the Mac world and I couldn't be happier.

I bough the Late 2012 i5 Mac Mini. It's stock, 4 GB ram, 500 GB hard drive.

I'm using it with a Magic Mouse and an older A1048 White keyboard. I also got a SuperDrive. For extra storage, I'm using a 2TB HD in an external enclosure and a 3TB external for Time Machine.

I'm keeping the PowerBook around as a secondary/mobile solution and I still have a couple of vintage (1990s) PCs for other vintage computer fun times. My main machine is now a Mac and I don't see that changing any time soon.

Thanks for reading. See you all around!

Trevor

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Thanks for posting your story and welcome to Mac Forums! If we can help in any way just let us know! I watched that same video as you did and just had to have a Mac after that!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Thanks for that story. Enjoy that nice new Mac-Mini!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Welcome! And if you're ever looking for a solid and free word processor, try Bean. It would seem to suit you. (Let it percolate, it'll come to you.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
nMP 6-core/32Gb/D700/512Gb: rMBP 15" 2.3GHz/16Gb/512Gb: iPhone 6 128Gb: iPad Air 2 128Gb: NEC PA322U
Welcome to MF's and congrat's on getting the Mac Mini

I too watched that movie and absolutely love those old Computer Chronicle shows on YouTube! Vintage computing has always been an interest of mine and there is nothing quite like using a real UNIX OS which was and still is the best base out there.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2012 Mac Mini i5, macOS 10.15.4, iPhone 11 Pro Max, PowerBook G4, iMac G3/4/5
Welcome! And if you're ever looking for a solid and free word processor, try Bean. It would seem to suit you. (Let it percolate, it'll come to you.)

Well played! I'll definitely check it out.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.