Itunes Radio without commercials

Reaction score
I love Itunes radio stations, although I've noticed that more and more of them have commercials. I HATE COMMERCIALS! I see that there is an app (Ituner) for a huge worldwide list of radio stations that works for ipad but not for Imac. Do you know why? I would love to have this to listen to in Itunes on my computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M3 iMac, 24 GB RAM, 10 core GPU
Good question. I gave up looking for a commercial-free station. I did stumble upon a station with music that matched my tastes perfectly, so i sucked it up and paid $50/year.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It seems if you want commercial free music on the internet, you have to pay for it. Even "Live 365 Internet Radio" now requires that you become a premium member in order to have continuous commercial free music. At one time, the service was free.

Reaction score
It will depend on the channel. Most have gone to some form of commercial/premium support, especially when they get popular and start using a lot of bandwidth. Those internet radio stations aren't free to run, ya know. Some stations are small enough and have few enough users that the costs are picked up by the operators and they may have some sort of donation platform. Of course not having many users, that may say something about the quality.

(you didn't think these radio stations were free to run, did you?)

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's a fact of life. Pumping music or whatever over the internet does cost money. It really doesn't bother me since I already have 60 channels of commercial free music along with my cable subscription. Not free either. ;)

C

chas_m

It costs a LOT of money to run even a basic Internet radio station: you need hosting and bandwidth for a lot of listeners, specialized software (and of course a large music library) and then you have to pay royalties for the music you play.

That said, there are PLENTY of commercial-free radio stations on iTunes and elsewhere. I like SOMA FM a great deal, I listen to Andy's 80s a lot, and there are loads of NPR and college and international stations (like BBC) that don't air commercials. It's all a matter of looking.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.